Wind screen ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruteforce

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, its that time of year again. The leaves are changing, a little snow falls here and there, and it's windy as hell all day long. So, any ideas for a portable wind screen?

I could just brew in the garage, but I've got a natural gas hookup on the back patio and I really like using it for the burner. Since I'm renting this house, I don't really want to install any posts or drill any holes, so I'm a little stuck on what I might do.

I used cheap flue pipe transition (the funnel shaped part 6" to 8") from Lowes to wrap the burner directly and further help "funnel" the heat directly to the kettle. I made sure the bottom of the piece was below the burner casting, also made sure to provide a peep hole for lighting and checking burner efficiency, and also made sure the top of the piece left an inch or two clearance to the bottom of the kettle.

Have not had a problem since. (turned the other way round)

imperial-uncrimped-stove-pipe-6-inch-to-8-inch-diameter-stove-pipe-reducer-increaser-28.jpg

I used cheap flue pipe transition (the funnel shaped part 6" to 8") from Lowes to wrap the burner directly and further help "funnel" the heat directly to the kettle. I made sure the bottom of the piece was below the burner casting, also made sure to provide a peep hole for lighting and checking burner efficiency, and also made sure the top of the piece left an inch or two clearance to the bottom of the kettle.

Have not had a problem since. (turned the other way round)

imperial-uncrimped-stove-pipe-6-inch-to-8-inch-diameter-stove-pipe-reducer-increaser-28.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion! That is WAY easier and more economical than anything I had come up with so far

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion! That is WAY easier and more economical than anything I had come up with so far

I used tin snips to cut away a notch to straddle throat, a drill with a 3/4" bit for the peep hole, plumbers strap, and self-tapping sheet metal screws to secure the shroud to the burner supports.

Latest posts

Back