Wind damaged hop leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFuggles

Reaction score
The last two days the wind gusts have been consistently over 40 mph sometimes over 50 in NJ. The goods news is my hop trellace doesn't budge at all. The hop leaves howevver are taking a real beating.

They almost look wilted and some pieces are tearing off. I hope they are able to recover and send some new leaves out to compensate. Anyone ever had their hops wind damaged?

They will be fine. I had 55 mph winds and my neighbors trampoline crashing into my house and slamming into my patio doors. My hops looks beaten, but they will recover. If it was later in the year I would be a little more concerned.

The plants should still be growing.

Last year one of my containers was located directly next to my air conditioning unit and got blasted all summer with the air that it blows out. The bottom 3 feet of leaves were brown and eventually tore apart and even fell off. Didnt effect anything...I wouldnt worry about heavy winds here and there.

Hey northeast guys, have you been as surprised by this wind as me? I've lived here my entire life and cannot remember having constant wind like this as bad as we've had it for like the past 4-5 months. Is it just me?

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

The weather in general has been crazy. I guess its the el nino year. Reminds me of the chris farley bit, where hes el nino ha that was hilarious.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

The weather in general has been crazy. I guess its the el nino year. Reminds me of the chris farley bit, where hes el nino ha that was hilarious.

I'm in Southeast PA and it HAS been crazy. I just put up my trellis right before the winds came. Good thing is that it stayed up! My hops were protected by my garage from the fiercest of the winds, but I can understand how some plants could have gotten knocked around pretty good.

Yeah the wind has been nuts here too in CT. Suppose to stop tomorrow but its going to be below freezing here tomorrow morning... I hope that does anger my hops too much. Though I know it has froze out since I planted in March not sure if it has since they been up though. This is my first time growing hops my plant is over a foot and a half now and I have a baby one that came up like 6 inches away from it :)

Iowa here and we have had the same wind everyone is talking about but with temps in the low 40's to upper 30's i have noticed some leaf damage and wilting and a few runners have wilted and turned black. hope every thing turns out fine. this past saturday we had the low temp of 28. real fun trying to cover up 8-10 foot tall hop growth.:(

Back