Will This work? Or will this taste like crap part II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomEHof

Reaction score
I've combined two recipes I've found, one here on this board called Fresh Squeezed IPA by Lodovico and something called Foggy Google Rye IPA by Mark Truex on another site. I tried to research the hops profile as much as posible. I really like big hop bombs like HopSlam, Hoptimum, an other big bitey citrusy and piney beers.

Let me know what you all think. Be gentle.

Rye IPA to be named still

Ingredients:
* 2tsp gypsum
* 1# rye malt 4L Briess
* .5 lb Malt - Crystal 40L
* 6 LB Light Malt Extract
* 1.5 lb Dried Malt Extract – Amber
* .5 lb Dried Malt Extract – Light
* .5 lb Dried Rice Extract
* .5 Brown Sugar
* .5 oz warrior bittering pellets – 90
* .5 oz Nugget bittering – 90
* .5 oz warrior bittering pellets – 75
* .5 oz Nugget bittering – 75
* .5oz Chinook Bittering pellets – 60
* .5oz Cascade Bittering - 60
* .25 oz chinook flavoring – 30
* .25 Nugget – 30
* .75 Chinook – 15
* .75 Glacier – 15
* .50 Sorachi Ace – 15
* .25 Glacier – 10
* .25 Cascade – 10
* .50 Sorachi Ace – 10
* .50 Chinook – 0
* .50 Citra - 0
* .25 Hallertau – 0
* 1oz citra pellets for dry hopping
* 1oz Columbus pellets for dry hopping
* .25 Cascade Whole for Dry Hopping
* 1oz Nugget for Dry hopping
* 1tsp irish moss
* WLP060 White Labs - American Ale Yeast Blend

Procedure:
5.5 gallons added to brewpot and add 2 tsp gypsum. Add 1# rye malt 4L Briess & .5 lb Malt - Crystal 40L in a grain bag and bring to 170 degrees F. for 30 minutes remove grains and bring water to a boil. Take pot off heat and add LME, DME, and rice extract and stir untill dissolved. Put back on heat and return to a boil. preboil for 5 minutes. Follow Hop schedule above. With 20 minutes left add 1 tsp irish moss. At 10 minutes left add Brown Sugar. Let wort sit for 10 minutes off the heat and then chill to 75 degrees F. Add to 6.0 gallon primary. Pitch yeast. Allow to cool to 75 degrees F and add to primary fermentor. When fermentation is complete rack to secondary fermentor and add hops for dry hopping. Allow to condition in secondary for 14 days. Ready to bottle

Honestly, your hop schedule seems overly complicated and mostly unnecessary.

Your 90, 75, and 60 minute hops are all just for bittering, so you might as well reduce them all to one single addition with something with a high AA%. The rest of the additions look ok from a timing and overall amoutn perspective, but I think you are going to end up with a muddled mess with all those different hops. I would suggest reducing it to just 2 or 3 varieties.

Honestly, your hop schedule seems overly complicated and mostly unnecessary.

Your 90, 75, and 60 minute hops are all just for bittering, so you might as well reduce them all to one single addition with something with a high AA%. The rest of the additions look ok from a timing and overall amoutn perspective, but I think you are going to end up with a muddled mess with all those different hops. I would suggest reducing it to just 2 or 3 varieties.

I would agree with this. I have fellow brewing friend who is a major hop head. We brewed a batch together, where he bought hops and yeast and I got the grain (extract rather)

He bought 12 ounces of hops that were of 6 varieties. Citra, Falconers Flight, Chinook, Warrior, Cascade, and I cannot remember the other(for a 5 gallon batch). It was a 90 minute boil. While I like a hoppy beer, after tasting it , I found that this was unnecessary. I had made a double IPA with chinook (4 ounces) and a couple of mild hops for dry hopping (1 oz of saaz and 1 oz of hallertau that were leftover from other batches) with a 60 minute boil and it turned out just as good. In fact, possibly better because I could actually distinguish the grassy chinook flavor (which I like more than the grapefruit flavoring)

The only other differences between the 2 was the malt bill, but the aftertaste bitterness was too much. I love Hop Stoopid, Ruination and many other hoppy beers but this was just too much. Maybe my pallate is destroyed by 12 ounces of hops, but I found 6 is plenty. He told me that his local brew house is always asking him why he is using so much for a 5 gallon batch. They think he is nuts, and so do I.
I had suggested that he buy hop pellets in bulk off the internet and limit it to a few kinds, not 6 different kinds. He spent like... 37 bucks on hops!! I was blown away.

The only other differences between the 2 was the malt bill, but the aftertaste bitterness was too much. I love Hop Stoopid, Ruination and many other hoppy beers but this was just too much. Maybe my pallate is destroyed by 12 ounces of hops, but I found 6 is plenty. He told me that his local brew house is always asking him why he is using so much for a 5 gallon batch. They think he is nuts, and so do I.
I had suggested that he buy hop pellets in bulk off the internet and limit it to a few kinds, not 6 different kinds. He spent like... 37 bucks on hops!! I was blown away.

Making adjustments now.

Was looking to add fermentables and dry out the beer.

Maybe someone else can chime in, but I'd try to keep the malt bill simpler too. I don't think most IPAs really have that complex of a grain make-up. Plus the half pound of sugar should do the trick to dry it out I think.

Also, 1lb of rye won't be all that noticeable, so maybe bump that up? Unless you want it pretty subtle.

Off topic, but I have to say that I loved Hoptimum too. Man, I wish I could have gotten more...

Maybe someone else can chime in, but I'd try to keep the malt bill simpler too. I don't think most IPAs really have that complex of a grain make-up. Plus the half pound of sugar should do the trick to dry it out I think.

Also, 1lb of rye won't be all that noticeable, so maybe bump that up? Unless you want it pretty subtle.

Off topic, but I have to say that I loved Hoptimum too. Man, I wish I could have gotten more...

I agree - everything needs to be simplified. For an IPA, all you really need is some base malt, a touch of crystal (like less than 5%), and maybe a little something else for distinction (Munich, Victory, etc) - I suppose the rye could do the trick. I don't think it needs the sugar or the rice extract or even the various extract flavors - stick with the light extract and get your other flavors/color from steeping or partial mashing the specialty grains.

FWIW I used 1lb of rye in a pale ale and it was very noticeable. It made up about 13% of the grist.

Here's what I brewed, everything looked god except using leaf hops in primary (14 days) clogged siphon and resulted in a bit if issues getting all of it into secondary. Been into secondary for three weeks, and still bubbling once every 1:30 minutes. slight layer of hops on top, but think it is done fermenting. Primary to secondary FG was the same, but was concurred It is not ready to bottle. Still some stuff floating. What do you all think. Time to bottle? BTW tasted and smells great!

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 13.04 %
0.50 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4.35 %
0.50 lb Rice Dry Extract (1.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4.35 %
6.00 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (4.0 SRM) Extract 52.17 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
1.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 10.2 IBU
0.25 oz Sorachi [14.90 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.25 oz Citra [11.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (75 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
0.25 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 14.7 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
0.75 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (15 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [11.00 %] (15 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
0.25 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
0.25 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (10 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi [14.90 %] (10 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
0.25 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.75 oz Citra [11.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar 4.35 %
0.50 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4.35 %
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.084 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.082 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.58 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 8.51 %
Bitterness: 107.1 IBU Calories: 376 cal/pint
Est Color: 11.5 SRM Color: Color

Sometimes less is more my friend. No offense but I think your hop bill is WAY overly complicated. Sure, it very well might make a drinkable beer, but I think your going to get lost in the hop attributes. Next time i'd pick 2 or maybe 3 varieties at the very most and use them for very specific reasons at different parts of the boil. You'd have a tough time finding a commercial brew with a recipe as complicated as this and there is a reason for that. More doesn't mean better.

Just learning and experimenting dude, but thanks for NOT answering the question.

Hey, hey, don't get defensive here. There's a lot of room for miscommunication, and I think most people who would take the time to post have only good intentions. In this case, good points too!

As far as whether it is time to bottle... I'd think a total of 5 weeks for an IPA should be fine. Of course it all depends on fermentation, but it sounds like you should be just fine, no problems. Just let it carb in the bottles long enough! (minus 1 or 2 sneaked beers of course-- I can't be hypocritical here!)

Next time, it may be a good idea to dry hop in the secondary. No clogging transferring to secondary, and more importantly the hops are much fresher and impact the beer better when fermentation is not most active.

Thanks for Input, Ryan was definitely right as other had previously mentioned too. Appreciate the feedback.

Finally got to taste this. Yes, the recipe was complex with regard to the many hops.

But, the flavor was amazing. :ban:

Just the right amount of Rye and a huge Hop bomb.

I will definitely make it again. May fool around and try to make with a single hop to see if I like it as much, but will make it again.

I don't remember home brew tasting this good. A little bit about my background, I used to brew back in the early 90's for a few years and made some good stuff. Then stopped until now. Have only done 4 batches now (all grain IPA, Rye IPA, Cream Ale, and Porter (split Chipotle and Vanilla Coffee). The Internet and Beersmith software have made it so much easier.

Thanks to everybody for all your advice!

The Internet and Beersmith software have made it so much easier.

Having never brewed without HBT and John Palmer's online version of "How to Brew," I can only imagine. Glad it turned out well!

Back