Will this work - Looking for opinions around boiling in conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglefish

Reaction score
I have a 14 gallon SS Brewtech Conical with a 1.5" tri clamp on the bottom. If I put my rims tube connected to the bottom and close up the in/out, could I boil in my conical this way?

Seems like the only risk would be that there isn't enough natural turnover through the rims tube.

One possibility would be to hookup the inlet to the conicol sample port and maybe it would naturally pull wort down and up?

My instinct says it would work if the element is powerful enough. Yes I would attach the lower rims wort port to the racking valve so the rims can draw wort when the upward bubbles create suction at the bottom of the tube.

Thanks Guys, it's funny Bobby replied because I'm using his RIMS tube and I'm using a 5500W element in it I got from him too. IF it works I may buy a butterfly valve and put it between the conical and the RIMS tube so I could close, pull the rims tube and put the original dump valve on the bottom for fermentation.

mongoose33, I like the idea, but if I put the element in the conical directly the only issue would be I couldn't dump the trub or yeast after fermentation. I'm not missing something am I?

Back