Will this work for IC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnsfeigel

Reaction score
Hey guys, hope this isn't a repetitive question. I recently got a smoking deal on a 25' x 3/8" copper IC, so I snagged it. I am only doing 3.5 gal boils, and have been ice-bathing in the sink to cool. The thought of running a ton of water down the drain makes me sad, and I really don't have the cash for a pump right now. I was wondering if I could use my 6 gal bottling bucket as a gravity fed icewater source for the IC, catching in another few buckets on the ground, then just returning it to the top and adding more ice as needed. As little as I understand about fluid dynamics, I believe that if the end of the line is 4 feet lower than the source, it should flow.

As I have never used one of these before, the questions are:
1. (Most importantly) Will it actually flow through the IC in the sink, back out to the bucket on the floor by gravity alone?
2.Will it flow so fast that I will be switching the buckets out faster than is reasonable?
3. Will the Wort heat up the IC water to the point that recirculating it back to the top bucket will melt too much ice to make it do-able?

Picture of said counter (with bottling bucket) for visual:

2012-03-16_12-37-20_908.jpg

I'm sorry.. I can't figure out why you are sad about using water to cool the wort? You will be using a lot of ice to cool the water to cool the wort the way you are talking about doing it. at some point you will be dumping the melted ice because it turns into water and will overflow your buckets? If it's a huge issue (using water to cool the wort) can you route the water after it's passed through the chiller outside to irrigate something? Can you route it to a barrel outside to be used later?
A 25' chiller in 3.5 gallons of wort will chill the wort pretty stinkin quick. Can't be talking about to much water and it'll be quicker by far than doing it the way you are talking about doing it.
Good luck though, which ever way you try it!

This method will use at least as much ice as you're using for the ice bath, if not more. If you're worried about wasting water (I am too), capture the hot chiller water and use it to clean up, wash clothes (just dump it in your washing machine), wash dishes, take a bath, or even let it cool and water your lawn.

This method will use at least as much ice as you're using for the ice bath, if not more. If you're worried about wasting water (I am too), capture the hot chiller water and use it to clean up, wash clothes (just dump it in your washing machine), wash dishes, take a bath, or even let it cool and water your lawn.

There you go! Good ideas

So, yes... the concern is wasting water. I would rather recirculate than running it down the sink. Without a pump, this was the quick and cheap way I came up with to do that with what I have. I would still like to save the water as suggested, I just wasn't sure if this would work as well or better than the wort just sitting in the ice in the sink.

I understand about the wasting of water, I have a deep well classified as slow. So I am cautious with water use. Also I have a septic system and washing that much water through it on a consistent basis is not good since there are 6 people in this house. So I built a flow through chiller that fits in with my brew room and the equipment that I already have. Instead of flowing clod water through the copper that is in the wort I flow the hot wort through the copper that is in an ice bath. The wort goes in at 200 plus and comes out at about 68 to 73. Here are some pics

2011-12-27_15-04-49_452.jpg

2012-02-11_19-56-51_72.jpg

2012-02-11_19-56-58_542.jpg

Uses about 20 lbs of cubed ice and several blocks that I refreeze and about 2.5 gallons of water. This I dump in my hop garden or lawn or vegy garden or where ever. In winter it goes out into the snow.

Just my opinion, if one is only doing 3 1/2 gallon boils it is hard to beat the effectiveness or simplicity of just picking up the pot and putting it in a tub of water or ice water. Unless you have very cold tap water year round you will need to use ice anyhoo, or chill the final 10-20 degrees in a fridge / ferm chambver.

Uses about 20 lbs of cubed ice and several blocks that I refreeze and about 2.5 gallons of water. This I dump in my hop garden or lawn or vegy garden or where ever. In winter it goes out into the snow.

Nice setup....creativity is the master of invention.

Back