Will this wire work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverz

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting rid of my propane turkey fryer and building a diy ebiab and control panel system.

My dryer outlet is fairly close to where I brew so I was thinking I could use the 240v there as a power source.

The problem is that it is only a 3 wire circuit and has no ground. I was hoping to add a portable gfci box like this one:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=316111

My guess is without a ground it would not offer adequate protection. Am I right on this?

My only other option is use the circuit my hot tub is using which is 50 amp but is going to be more difficult to use as the hot tub is hard wired in.

I use my 3 wire dryer plug for 5500w setup. I bought a spa panel and hooked a 3 wire dryer cord to it. the other side of the spa panel I run a 25 ft 30 amp extension cord upstairs and brew in my kitchen..works great,super easy and I'm out of my cold basement on brewday

After a few more searches here I totally regret starting this topic. It looks as if its already been covered extensively several times.

I'm just going to run a new 4 wire conduit to the dryer. I like the idea of having both ground and neutral for added safety.

After a few more searches here I totally regret starting this topic. It looks as if its already been covered extensively several times.

I'm just going to run a new 4 wire conduit to the dryer. I like the idea of having both ground and neutral for added safety.
Sounds like a plan. The spa panel with GFI is plenty safe with the 3 wire though.

As I found out - and likely you did too after your search, if you want to split off 120v receptacles for your pumps in your control panel you will need 4 wires (2 hots, 1 neutral and a ground.) The alternative is to use the 3 wire just to fire your element and use an existing 120v wall plug/extension cord to run your pumps. Because of the wet environment, use a gfci receptacle for your pumps as well.

I did what you mentioned and ran a new 4 wire lead. It was not horribly expensive to have an electrician do it - and I didn't have to crawl around in the attic in the summertime!

Love my eBIAB rig, you won't regret switchingto electric!

Latest posts

Back