Will this motor turn a mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewkbridges

Reaction score
Hey there HBT,
I have a Crankandstein 2A that I'd like to motorize. I have a motor from a dishwasher pump, and I'm wondering if it's got enough 'oomph' to turn it. Here's the specs (taken off of the motor label):
3110 RPM (I would of course use pulleys to take this down to <300 RPM)
115 V
1.75 Amps

Any ideas? Or should I keep looking for a motor?

Thanks in advance!

^^^ What He said ^^^^

You'll spend a decent chunk of change on pulleys, use a gear motor and do it right. Doesn't sound like the motor in question would do the job anyways...

A windshield wiper motor for a semi looks pretty much ideal in terms of being geared down, torque output, etc.- of course the big issue is it's DC, and therefore needs a power supply of some kind.

A windshield wiper motor for a semi looks pretty much ideal in terms of being geared down, torque output, etc.- of course the big issue is it's DC, and therefore needs a power supply of some kind.

I might have read somewhere that wiper motors are not suited for continuos use but come to think of it might of actually been for the windscreen washer pumps so ignore me (might pay to double check... just in case;))

This is a high rpm, low torque motor. You want pretty much the opposite.

I'm talking about using it with the gear-down assembly intact. With most of these, that's more desirable anyhow for a bucket application, since it comes off at a right angle. Of course, if it came with the arms, etc. that make it oscillate, that stuff would be discarded.

I'm talking about using it with the gear-down assembly intact. With most of these, that's more desirable anyhow for a bucket application, since it comes off at a right angle. Of course, if it came with the arms, etc. that make it oscillate, that stuff would be discarded.

Yeah I'm pretty sure now that I think about it what I heard must of been for the washer pumps, I mean in heavy rain those motors would be working 100% for ages with no signs of failing... so ignore me ;)

Latest posts

Back