Will this Greenlee punch work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulymd

Reaction score
I'm looking to put a hole in my brew kettle for a ball-valve, thus looking into punches vs step bits. Found this on amazon and it looks to be a good deal. From what I've read the greenlee punches are usually pretty expensive thus I'm skeptical of this one. Am I missing something or would this work for a ball valve?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018LC8WI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you on that, but just looking at the price you can get the two piece step bits from harbor freight for a bit less. Especially if you use one of their 20% off coupons. I used it to put two holes in my kettle and with some cutting oil it was like butter. I can see them lasting a while. I actually plan on using them again soon to put holes in a HLT I'm making. Hope this is of some help.

I have used both step bits and knockout punches, and the punch is much easier IMO. The hole is also cleaner, although slightly large (in my experience) so you will need a better grommet than you would need for a step bit.

And yes, I believe that the 7/8 punch is for a 1/2" NPT nipple.

just came across this post, you've probably already bought your punch, but for anyone else interested harbor freight has a decent deal on a set:

http://www.harborfreight.com/knockout-punch-kit-10-pc-60575.html

That's the set I have. Not as good as a Greenlee, but it works well enough. One of my punches from the set (I think it's the 1" NPT one) has a piece chipped off after punching about 3 or 4 holes. This should work for most people, but don't expect it to last forever.

That's the set I have. Not as good as a Greenlee, but it works well enough. One of my punches from the set (I think it's the 1" NPT one) has a piece chipped off after punching about 3 or 4 holes. This should work for most people, but don't expect it to last forever.

Wouldn't the chipped punch be up for their lifetime warranty then? If that's the case, this seems like a no brainer unless you need to punch 10+ holes a day.

Wouldn't the chipped punch be up for their lifetime warranty then? If that's the case, this seems like a no brainer unless you need to punch 10+ holes a day.

Not sure if they'd honor it or if it's worth the trouble. I don't have the receipt any more, so I haven't bothered to try to bring it in. It actually still punches, just not quite as well any more. But I may try to claim the warranty soon, just to see what they say.

I have that set from harbor freight. I've used the 1" punch four times now. Already got my $25 worth just for that. I've used step bits for many holes and I prefer the punch over them.

Just my two cents.

I'm looking to put a hole in my brew kettle for a ball-valve, thus looking into punches vs step bits. Found this on amazon and it looks to be a good deal. From what I've read the greenlee punches are usually pretty expensive thus I'm skeptical of this one. Am I missing something or would this work for a ball valve?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018LC8WI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks for posting this up! I will be building a new HLT soon and wanted to use a punch to make a hole for the temp probe/sight glass fitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly, the one you want is the 1/2" conduit punch... which is a 13/16". Perfect fit. The 7/8" is just a tad large. Either will work, but the 13/16" is preferred.

This is from Greenlee customer service: Subject: RE: Greenlee 730BB-13/16 Standard Round Knockout Punch Unit****[ ]

Thank you, What line are the stainless punches?***Do you offer a 7/8"?

The stainless punches are in our Slug Splitter line. The 1/2" conduit size punch will create an actual hole size of 7/8". Please take into advisement that the Slug Splitter punches are not intended to be manually driven. They require a hydraulic or battery powered driver to operate. The link below will take you to the knockout section of our catalog on our website. The Slug Splitters are on pages 12-15 of the file.

https://greenlee-cdn.ebizcdn.com/media/2015 Knockouts.pdf

I found a step bit in my tool box the other day and ended up using it to drill my hole for a site glass port. It actually worked very well. I stopped at 13/16" and de-burred the hole with a Dremel tool. The fitting went right through the hole and was a snug fit. Probably the biggest pain about the whole process was drilling the pilot hole with a twist drill bit. That took a great deal of pressure on the drill bit to cut through the stainless kettle. Even used a cobalt coated bit too, but still took a while.

Back