Will the tap root generate a new plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of rearranging my hops garden, and in the process I dug up and gave away a lot of my hop vines. All my bittering varieties were given away and I kept my flavour/aroma varities. I will be planting rhizomes for the varieties I am keeping in the areas where the bittering varieties once were, and I am a little concerned that any bits of tap root I may have missed (these suckers grow deep!) may regenerate into a new plant again over time and I will have a bittering hop growing exactly where I have a flavour/aroma hop. Definitely don't want any Magnum or Nugget growing in amongst my precious Golding!

Sorry for the long winded post, but I figured context always helps. So, how vicious and thorough do I need to be with these tap roots?

Cheers,

Nick

With small rhizome bits that are left over, you should see a difference in the size of the bine that comes up in the spring. Small root peices = very thin bines. But if you are not careful about removing the thin bines next spring, you will have some serious problems.

The roots will not generate new plants, so you don't have to worry about that. There may have been a few rhizomes (different from roots) that you may have missed as already mentioned. Their orientation will be very close to the surface and if you see some stray shoots coming up a foot or so away from the newly planted crowns next Spring, it's very easy to loosen them up with a shovel and remove. Just make sure to keep an eye out next season and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Just to be sure, I grabbed a bunch of those decomposable fibre pots, about 14" in diameter, and buried those in the soil and planted my new hop rhizomes in them. That way, I figure, over the next few years any hops I see growing outside of the pots are hops I don't want, and will remove them. After a few years he pots will be largely gone and by tham time the worry of errant hops should be over.

Good plan you figure?

Back