Will submerged lead free solder on a wort chiller matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbrew

Reaction score
So now that I have a keggle, my wort chiller is too short. So I'm planning to cut the 1/4" pipe and add 4 couplings and 2 lengths of pipe to extend it above the rim of the keg. So there will be 2 soldered couplings that will probably get wet for 15 minutes during boiling. Any issues?

You'll be fine. The 90* elbow for the return is soldered on my chiller. I put it into the pot with 15 mins left on the boil and keep it in there until I'm done transferring to the carboy. Never had an issue.

I certainly hope it doesn't hurt anything. It's what I used to solder all the copper water lines in my house. :drunk:

Rick

I agree with F250. Houses use lead free solder for all culinary water connections now. Make sure that you buy lead free brass fittings for anything else that might be submerged in the wort. Some have lots of lead. If it doesn't say "lead free," it probably isn't.

Back