Will star San kill parasites?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlovin

Reaction score
So last weekend we adopted an English bulldog from a rescue. After taking her to the vet we found out she had a couple parasites including hookworm . The vet told us it's uncommon for humans to get it from animals, researching it it seams like you can contract it from the larvae which is exuded in fecal matter. Long story I have five gallons and a few spray bottles of starsan around . Will starsan kill the larvae if I pour it where she goes to the bathroom outside (or inside ) I'm have toddlers so I'm a little paranoid that they will pick up these somehow

If parasites can live in your dog's digestive tract, I don't think a little Star San is going to bother them. I'd just follow her and pick up her poop until the treatment regimen has run its course and the parasites are gone.

So last weekend we adopted an English bulldog from a rescue. After taking her to the vet we found out she had a couple parasites including hookworm . The vet told us it's uncommon for humans to get it from animals, researching it it seams like you can contract it from the larvae which is exuded in fecal matter. Long story I have five gallons and a few spray bottles of starsan around . Will starsan kill the larvae if I pour it where she goes to the bathroom outside (or inside ) I'm have toddlers so I'm a little paranoid that they will pick up these somehow

My first guess? No. Parasites are pretty tough devious little bastards. They almost have to be.

Though... I would LOVE to test this out personally. maybe it could but only after a really prolonged exposure.

I have an english bully also, her name is Meatball lol. She also came home with worms, why? Becaues they eat everything including poop which is pretty much how they get it and it spreads from dog to dog.

So first, watch your bully make sure he/she is not eating the poop otherwise it becomes a never ending cycle..also if you have any other dogs take them outside at separate times to prevent this also.

Scoop and get rid of the poop right after your bully finishes. Then wash your hands.

Make sure your bully starts and stays on heart worm prevention that med actually prevents a lot more than just heart worms.

It is highly unlikely you or your child will contract these worms. Although I do understand the concern but if you follow these steps and treat the dog and dispose of the poop immediately it should be fine.

Also understand that some meds that are giving to dogs to de-worm might cause diarrhea I would check on that with your doctor before giving your bully the meds and then lets say cage him/her and goto work. You might want to do it in the evening or a weekend when you might be home and can let the dog out.

Last thing, no I don't think star san will do anything but if it puts your mind to ease then go for it. Personally I took a little dawn soap and water.

No it won't have any affect. Sanitizers are neutralized/ bound quickly by organic matter. It's the same principal behind cleaning your fermentor before sanitizing it.

Thank you everyone for the input , she is on a regiment of medicines for the worms now . we are taking every precaution available and picking up the worm laden poop as soon as she goes ( fairly disgusting but double gloving and double bagging the poop ) I will still dispose of all of my sanitizer in that area for piece of mind

View attachment 376795thanks everyone .. Decided to rdwhahb ! Mmmm dopple sticke alt steinbier and hookworm ... A great combo

I sense a name for your next Home brew.... doppleworm... maybe hookbock?

My next stout is going to be "overspray stout"

I was spray painting my keezer at the same time I was doing an oatmeal stout. Dont worry I was far enough away, but its still funny.

Back