Will overpitching harvested US-05 give me a better pseudo-lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebbelwoi

Reaction score
Still a beginner here, but as I understand it, esters are primarily thrown during the reproduction phase of yeast growth. I've got a full batch's worth of US-05 in the fridge. If I put the whole container in my next batch, could I hope to get fewer esters?

My line of thinking is this: If I start with almost all the yeast I need, the yeast wouldn't reproduce as much, and therefore wouldn't throw as many esters.

I'm also planning to ferment around 59F/15C.

you want the yeast to grow so you have fresh yeast to get the job done cleanly. If you drive the yeast by controlling temp and give enough oxygen to start you get a cleaner beer. US-05 is fairly clean when fermented in the 65 to 70f range, some people say fermenting US-05 cool is what makes the peach esters come out.

If you want lager like flavor use a cleaner yeast like wlp029 or one of the lager strains that works well at ale temps.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/warm-fermented-lager-thread.592169/

Thanks, but temperature is not the issue. I'm planning to do another split batch between US-05 and w34/70. The US-05 half is drinkable much sooner than the lager half.

I've done quite a bit of research regarding US-05 at lower temps, and have read about the peach esters. I'm mostly just wondering about whether I would get fewer esters with a large pitch.

Last edited:
Still a beginner here, but as I understand it, esters are primarily thrown during the reproduction phase of yeast growth. I've got a full batch's worth of US-05 in the fridge. If I put the whole container in my next batch, could I hope to get fewer esters?

My line of thinking is this: If I start with almost all the yeast I need, the yeast wouldn't reproduce as much, and therefore wouldn't throw as many esters.

I'm also planning to ferment around 59F/15C.
I have found that reusing us05 after a couple generations, it seems to ferment quicker and cleaner than the first dry pitch. Others might disagree, but that's my $0.02. Cheers!

I use a full mason jar of 05 slurry almost every batch. Full going in then it settles. I pour out the liquid and use the rest. Never picked up on any esters.

"A full batch" of yeast cake usually gives me 2 mason jars. I've never used a full yeast cake in one batch.

I've also never heard of using 05 for a lagar. Kinda makes sense because its such a clean yeast.

Where did you get the idea to us 05 for a lager?

Thanks, but temperature is not the issue. I'm planning to do another split batch between US-05 and w34/70. The US-05 half is drinkable much sooner than the lager half.

I've done quite a bit of research regarding US-05 at lower temps, and have read about the peach esters. I'm mostly just wondering about whether I would get fewer esters with a large pitch.

In theory, yes. Pitch high, ferment cool, get fewer esters

Esters, phenols and other fermentation derived flavors are also decided by yeast strain used. Some strains produce more, and less than others.

And on the other hand, for me at least a good/great lager is a beer which has been fermented and stored cold. Everything just "feels" somewhat more fresh. Less aromatics are blown out, for instance. I don't think I've ever overpitched us-05 and tried to make a lager out of it, so I'd read the result with curiosity.

Just to be clear.....I'm sure everyone here knows but anyway....you wouldn't really be making a lager, but an ale that tastes similar to a lager.
I would be curious though to taste a side by side of a quick, cool us05 healthy fermented beer vs a lager strain. Anyone ever tried?

I know most people associate lagering with cold fermenting but lagering is the process of cold storage or cold conditioning. If you allow your beer/ale to sit for a while cold you basically have a lagered beer, some call it a hybrid to identify a warm ferment.

I've also never heard of using 05 for a lagar. Kinda makes sense because its such a clean yeast.

Where did you get the idea to us 05 for a lager?

There are quite a few threads about it, here and elsewhere. Most of them are from people who aren't able to lager properly.

There are also a few stories out there about people winning competitions (small ones, perhaps?) with US-05 in lager categories. I tend to take those with a grain of salt. I was happy with my first one, though.

Back