Will one vial of irish ale be enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivypunx

Reaction score
Doing a stout with a OG of 1.72. Will one packet of wyeast irish ale yeast and 4 tsp of yeast nutrient be enough to get proper fermentation

Doing a stout with a OG of 1.72. Will one packet of wyeast irish ale yeast and 4 tsp of yeast nutrient be enough to get proper fermentation

Assuming that your smack pack of yeast is just one month old, it will contain about 78 billion cells. A 5 gallon batch of 1.072 gravity ale, at a basic pitch rate of 0.75 needs 259 billion cells.

So, the answer to your question is..............no.

If I put in some nottingham dry yeast for a bit of a boost how much would that affect the flavor

A pack of fresh Notty at maximum viability will give you an additional 100 billion cells for a grand total of less than 200 billion.

So.... Again........ No.

Make a starter.

Actually, your OP asked if you would get proper fermentation.
And the answer is it will ferment. Maybe not properly, as under pitching is not the proper way to do it.
Stressing the yeast creates off flavors but not off enough to make it undrinkable or even noticeable in most cases.

Does this help?

It helps very much. But I was also wondering how much some nottingham would affect the flavor. I get its a low pitching rate. I am between freezing cold trips to the field right now. I dont have time for a starter before I head back out. If I pitched some nottingham with the irish ale smack pack how much would that affect the flavor. I have loved the way irish ale has finished of stouts in the past. I have never used two types of yeast at once before. Have you?

I have never used multiple yeast strains but I have seen threads where it is done.

Notty, S-04 and some others have neutral flavor profiles if you keep them in the correct temp range.
Notty especially is very clean and crisp if you keep it at the low end around 60 degrees.

It helps very much. But I was also wondering how much some nottingham would affect the flavor. I get its a low pitching rate. I am between freezing cold trips to the field right now. I dont have time for a starter before I head back out. If I pitched some nottingham with the irish ale smack pack how much would that affect the flavor. I have loved the way irish ale has finished of stouts in the past. I have never used two types of yeast at once before. Have you?

I haven't had a reason to use two strains together, but I have heard that it can be done.

With the smack pack and the 11g packet of Nottingham (if you rehydrate it), you should have a good pitch rate. There are actually closer to 220 billion cells in an 11g packet of dry yeast (according to microscopic cell counts) than the 100 billion the producer is willing to promise are for sure there.

One warning about Nottingham. You've got to pitch cool and keep it cool (around 57-62*F beer temp) for the first 4-5 days. If you happen to let it get above 68*F, you likely won't be happy with the flavor.

if you really want to use just the one smack pack, rework your recipe to bring down the OG to 1.060 or less. And plan on using pure oxygen and nutrients. Short of that, using nottingham is good advice.

I have never used multiple yeast strains but I have seen threads where it is done.

Notty, S-04 and some others have neutral flavor profiles if you keep them in the correct temp range.
Notty especially is very clean and crisp if you keep it at the low end around 60 degrees.

The reason I picked notting is because it is supposed to be a clean finishing and nuetral yeast that way I hope to still keep most of the accents from the 1084

I haven't had a reason to use two strains together, but I have heard that it can be done.

With the smack pack and the 11g packet of Nottingham (if you rehydrate it), you should have a good pitch rate. There are actually closer to 220 billion cells in an 11g packet of dry yeast (according to microscopic cell counts) than the 100 billion the producer is willing to promise are for sure there.

One warning about Nottingham. You've got to pitch cool and keep it cool (around 57-62*F beer temp) for the first 4-5 days. If you happen to let it get above 68*F, you likely won't be happy with the flavor.

Im a big fan of rehydrating. The batch should ferment around 61-63 so it should be fine. I only plan on using about half a packet of the rehydrated notting

Im a big fan of rehydrating. The batch should ferment around 61-63 so it should be fine. I only plan on using about half a packet of the rehydrated notting

Based on your expected OG, I'd rehydrate and pitch the whole packet.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389198945.676825.jpg
1.068 with a single vial of 004 and nutrient. So the answer is yes but it's not ideal. May have some off flavors from being stressed. I didn't care much on this because it was a test of some new methodologies.

I would be wary of the 220 billion cell count with any dry yeast packets. I refer you to http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

They discuss the exact topic and actually cite different studies regarding the cells counts of dry yeast packets. Jamil estimates 220 billion (11g) for every type of dry yeast, by others have done cell counts and have found differing numbers (as low as 88 billion for s-04).

Im not sure who is right, but even Jamil would say not to use dry at all. Thats what he said to me in an email when I asked him about it; to which my response was "OH MY GOD A FAMOUS PERSON RESPONDED TO MY EMAIL!" :ban:

Off-topic OP, my bad, Id pitch the whole rehydrated packet as well.

Latest posts

Back