Will my 6" thermometer interfere with BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atvar

Reaction score
I am planning to do my first all grain BIAB using a converted 15.5g keg with a 6" probe thermometer about 3" from the bottom. Does anyone else here BIAB with this kind of setup, and does the thermometer get in the way during the mash? Could a full bag sitting on probe damage it?

Right now I'm debating on making a false bottom that sits 3.5" up and would completely seperate my diptube and thermometer from the grain bag, or just tossing the bag in and letting it go where it wants. I like the false bottom in general for heating without melting my bag. I'm leary of a 3.5" high false bottom due to all the deadspace below, and possibly inaccurate thermometer readings. Any thoughts?

The false bottom is a great idea. I brew BIAG and usually have to turn on the burner every fifteen minutes or so for a minute to bring it back up to temp. I use a pizza pan flipped over as a false bottom. Without one you WILL melt the bag when you fire it back up to maintain temp. If you're worried about the temp difference will all of that dead space, it might be cheaper and easier to just buy a shorter thermometer and a much shorter false bottom.

Back