Will it last another week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petie

Reaction score
I've got a black rye ipa and a coconut porter that I primaries for 2 weeks and dry hopped/coconutted for 2 more weeks. I was gonna bottle this weekend but it looks like my job isn't gonna allow that to happen. My question is how much will another week of dry hopping affect my beer. I been really looking forward to these two and don't wanna screw them up.

If you're doing the 'hopping at fermentation temperature, I'd already be worried about prominent grassy notes after two weeks. I would at least get the hops out of there if you have to let it run another week...

Cheers!

If the hops are in a bag, I'd pull them. Some people taste a grassy flavor from long dry hops. Some don't. I wouldn't panic over it, but it is something to keep in mind.

Alternatively, if you can cold crash, that would work too. Dropping the temps really slows down everything.

My hops aren't in a bag so the only thing I can do is rack them. I don't really wanna do that and risk an infection.
I can drop the temp though. I'm at 65* ambient right now. About what temp and will I have enough yeast stay in suspension to bottle carb if I drop the temp.

You can drop it to 32 for a week and still have plenty of yeast to carb. Not a worry.

Cool. I'll be cranking down the temp tonite. Thank you sir.

Back