will I know my batch is bad by secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModeloNegro

Reaction score
So this was my first brew and I added orange peel to the boil at about 20 mins till I chilled. There was hunk of orange attached to the peel did I boil it long enough or is this gonna make me sick. Its in secondary if I taste it now will it already be poison.

I don't know, but I don't see why the orange will be any different a concern than the peel itself (which you sanitized by boiling).

Are you exagerating? Or is this entire post a joke?

There are no toxins that grow in beer that will make you sick. If you do pick up something from the orange (which is pretty unlikely), the worst it will do is make bad tasting beer - it won't hurt you.

That is so awsome to hear I am really looking forward to tasting it. The only reason I thought to ask is because I am doing a weizen and thought about adding fruit again, maybe a berry. And no I am not exaggerated in my time table I remember I boiled an extra 5 mins and added at 15.

The reason I asked if you were joking or exaggerating is that you referred to "poison" and making you "sick". Oranges, which are delicious and a nutritious part of any-ones daily diet, obviously have no harmful components. The only *possible* concern one would have would be that the orange wasn't sanitized or that you have an unwanted ingredient. Neither one of these would normally make anyone "sick" or be considered "poison". And the fear of unsanitized orange is really kind of .... well, absurd if one thinks about it.

And the fear of unsanitized orange is really kind of .... well, absurd if one thinks about it.

Agreed, but I will point out that you could certainly pick up wild critters from oranges that wouldn't hurt you, but could make the beer taste bad. Organic ingredients often carry wild yeast, for instance.

That being said, I see no reason for the OP to worry.

Good I am a real fan of the fruity beers specifically ones with orange. So how much orange or how many oranges make a serious effect to taste?

Do you take hydrometer readings? Taste the beer while you take a reading... then you'll know if you need more.

I do not have one yet, I thought that gravity readings just tell you how much alcohol is in the tank how do I interpret that to how much fruit I need

Pasteurization takes 10 minutes at 160 F. You boiled for 20. All the worrisome pathogens are dead. Quit worrying about that.

They say pasteurization happens in seconds,but I usually let it sit 3-10 minutes while I sanitize the fermenter,get out the big bag of ice,etc. Does the trick every time. Since even after late extract additions,the wort temp is still 180F+,it's safe to do.
Did you use the whole orange? You're only supposed to use the colored part of the peel (zest). That's where the flavor oils are in citrus. The white pith is really bitter & nasty.

Yea it was mostly peel very little actual fleshy material

ForumRunner_20130602_083000.jpg

If you want to infuse orange or other citrus maybe a zester would be a good thing to get. As unionrdr mentioned, I think all you really want is the zest.

Zesting_an_orange.jpg

All that pith will def add some bitterness of the unpleasant sort. And yes,I meant the colored (zest) part only. A zester or one of the new kind I see TV foodies use. It looks like a nutmeg grater,but a bit courser

Ok so I just said **** it I sanatized a small glass and opend my seconday I am only a couple days away from bottle day and its fine so its all good. Now that I see the zest as the right choice I would think a lime would really work well for a pilsner.

I've read coriander (the seeds, not the greens) actually give beer a better orange flavor than orange zest.

I've done some fresh orange zesting in beers, but never "dry-zested" after fermentation. I presume that latter method will give a better aroma/flavor than boiling.

I've found boiled zest to give a much heavier undertone than one would expect. More like a deep spice rather than a lighter fragrance.

Hey I know its been a while on this one but I just did a hefe and used concentrated juice any experience with that would it be a good idea to do seeds in the secondary

Back