Will hip aroma suffer from using hop bags?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threetall

Reaction score
Just brewed a brett pale ale and used 1-gallon paint strainer bags for the only 2 late hop additions. 1 addition was 1.75 oz of hops for 30 minutes of steeping/whirlpool then added 5 oz. of hops and chilled wort. Tried to stir bags around occasionally. I never use hop bags, just felt lazy and wanted to deal with less hop matter this time around. Think I will see a huge hit to hop flavor aroma? Or nothing to worry about?

I did the exact same IPA, one using bags and one without and the finished beer was nearly identical. I had the same concerns. Cleanup was much easier when I used the bags but it was also because I was being lazy.

I will probably use bags anytime I add more than a couple ounces and for dry-hopping in the future.

It depends. As long as you didn't make the bags to tight, you should be good. When I was starting out, I put the hops in a bag ( I don't care anymore) and put them into a nice little ball. Total loss of bitterness and flavor.

I have never made any side by side tests, but I almost always bag my hops. (very loosely). I use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag clipped to the lip of the kettle. The beers always are properly bitter and I get good flavor and aroma. I also squeeze out most of the wort when done.

Just worried about 5 oz of hops in a 1 gallon paint strainer bag. But they weren't to add bitterness, just aroma.

Just worried about 5 oz of hops in a 1 gallon paint strainer bag. But they weren't to add bitterness, just aroma.

If you did this you probably lost a lot because of the density/lack of fluid flow through the hops. As I said before, I use a 5 gallon bag clipped to the lip of the kettle. Not too long ago I did one that used enough hops that I used two 5 gallon bags.

Added: Oh I see that you used multiple bags. If they didn't swell tight everything should be OK. Suggestion: get some 5 gallon bags.

I used hop sacks in the boil till a little over a year ago. The difference I noticed was that the hop flavors had a bit more edge to them. A bit more aroma from very late boil aroma additions. But I still bag'em for dry hopping.

Latest posts

Back