Will exposed JB weld cause problems in the HLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I built a heat stick per the directions in another post here and I used JB weld to seal it as suggested, however some of the JB weld is exposed and I am concerned it will impart bad stuff into the water of my HLT.

The heat stick does not leak (good thing for me) but it does have an odor to it and I am concerned about using it for my brewing.

Anyone out there able to offer some good information (bad news is accepted, but hopefully not forthcoming).

Thanks.

Salute! :mug:

http://www.nsf.org/Certified/PwsComponents/Listings.asp?Company=C0051881&Standard=061

Looks like they've tested their products versus ANSI/NSF Standard 61 for commercial hot water (82C or 180F). They have a size limitation of 1.3 square centimeters per liter which is pretty darn good for an epoxy. I'd say you are perfectly safe and I do this for a living so this is more than a WAG. Hope this helps.

EDIT: I want to make clear that I am in no way affiliated with JB Weld. I work for a different epoxy manufacturer.

I've used JB as well as other similar products and sometimes if you don't mix it correctly it does not cure properly.

In spite of manufacturers and knowledgeable posters comments above, I wouldn't be using it, especially if it has an off odor.

**not a chemist, just using common sense on this.

No two-part epoxy will cure completely if not mixed correctly but then all epoxy manufacturers hope that all users employ common sense when using their products (which does not always happen sadly). Any odor detected is either residual amine or plasticizer. A good soak in hot water should drive off any residual components.

BTW, I thought you might be interested to know that the NSF testing that they so carefully undertook for you cost them around $13,000 and is a ROYAL pain in the @$$.

Not to sound anal or anything, but I did realize the importance of mixture ratios prior to using the material. I have a scale and I used it when I dispensed the epoxy. Each batch contained equal amounts of both materials provided, so I do not think it was a mixture mistake. It does have the odor of some type of plastic, so I will soak the stick in hot water overnight and determine the level of remaining odor tomorrow afternoon.

Another question if I may, please!

If I grind down some of the JB weld after it has cured a sufficiently long time, will it become porous? The package stated it was grind-able and sand-able, so I am assuming it should be okay. Am I correct in my assumption?

You are correct. No decent epoxy should be at all porous. I always encourage small quantity mixing via a gram scale so you did well!

I made three heat sticks and one has exposed jb weld. I made it before I found out about the method of pouring it inside to seal it.

I've used it in one boil. No smell. No off tastes that I can tell, but it does concern me. I had planned on making a third, no exposed JB weld heat stick, but haven't gotten to it.

I always thought it was safe up to 600 degrees according to manufacturer.

That 500F claim is totally ridiculous but it doesn't matter for purposes of a HLT. There is absolutely no reason to be concerned though. Commercial hot water is the correct standard to test to and passing that is incredibly difficult. You won't slip anything by the NSF. The last lab report I got had 9 pages of analytes that they test for with ppm precision. Besides, many of the raw ingredients in JB Weld's formulation are food safe.

Test it
Boil the stick in a minimal amount of water. This way if anything's leaching you have it as concentrated as possible. Boil a same amount of water in another vessel. Steep a quarter ounce of hops in each one chill and taste.
Do the same with a half cup or so of malt.
Then do then same with malt and hops.
Taste em side by side and see if there is a difference. This isn't going to be world class beer, or even close. In fact none of them will taste good, just try to notice any differences.
The NSF tests up to 180 does not cover boiling. Many things happen in that 30 degrees. For example I have a sight glass that's just fine for steeping, but falls apart if I boil anything in it. JB weld repairs muffler pipes so I doubt it breaks down, but evrything I have put into wort with a scent, affects the taste somehow. I doubt that anything leached into the mini-wort will be a quantity that will hurt you, but definitely inspect the weld area for missing material.
I'd hate to prep five or ten gallons of wort only to find out later it tasted funny.

I soaked the stick overnight in water and brought it into work to grind off most of the compound. It cleaned up real nicely and now when I get home, I will re-soak the stick overnight to be certain it has not developed any leaks after clean up.

If all goes well, tomorrow after work, I will test the unit in a small amount of water brought up to 170F. to determine it's functional state.

Thanks again for all the information and support.

Checked the stick this morning before leaving for work. Dry as a bone inside, so this evening I will connect the plug end and put it in a pot of water to see how things go.

Back