will cold crashing now help stop over attenuating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did a partial mash Blonde ale with about 6lb base malt and 3 lb Golden light DME. I'm fermenting with Crossmyloof Belgian ale yeast and I've gone past my target FG in about 48 hours. My Tilt hydrometer is currently reading 1.007 and i'm still seeing bubbles. i just Took a regular hydrometer reading and confirmed the Tilt is within .001

I did plan on cold crashing this for at least 2 days to help clear it up, but only until fermentation had fully stalled. But seeing as this is going to get pretty dry, i wondered if cold crashing now while i'm still seeing activity would be an option. Or if it would be better to just let it go another few days until all activity has stopped.

I feel i should also mention that i used a 1/2tsp yeast nutrient, mashed the grain at 150 and fermented at room temp which is about 73*f. The sample is tasting good, albeit slightly more Estery and Phenollic than i would've hoped.

You don’t seriously worry yourself with hitting a specific FG?
OG yes but life’s too short to bother trying to control FG too much

You do not want to attempt to do this. Do not package until you have three days of zero drop in gravity. It's probably done there anyway, but wait two days to be sure.

I would expect that recipe to go low... And if you cold crash, the fermentation may stop, but when you bottle it will start again. If you get much more attenuation plus what you get from the priming sugar you could easily have exploding bottles.

Let it finish.

Just an update: I let it go a total of 4 more days until there was basically no activity in the air lock. Fg ended up being 1.006. I dry hopped it, kegged and i'm waiting for it to carb up now. Tastes pretty good, hoping it ages into itself over the next few weeks. This yeast is quite phenolic, spicy notes of clove and banana are very apparent, hopefully some age and the dry hops will quell that a bit.

Thanks everyone for their input!

Back