Will cocoa nibs in the boil clog a Chugger pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnieZ

Reaction score
Quick question as asked in the title:

Will using Cocoa Nibs in the boil clog a Chugger Pump?

I've got a recipe for a breakfast stout that calls for 2 ounces of cocoa nibs at 10 or 15 minutes for a 5 gallon batch. I didn't think much of it until I read where one guy had issues with the wort fouling up the pump because of the cocoa nibs.

I haven't really brewed with cocoa nibs before, so I don't know if this is going to be an issue. I microwaved some of the nibs I have for a minute and they didn't even start to sweat.

Is this a real issue, something I should be worried about or was this just a one-off thing for some guy with some bad luck?

I just did a stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout that called for a little over 4 oz of. Cocoa Nibs in the boil. I out them in a boo sock and pulled them out before whirlpool.
I'm fairly certain they would have plugged up my pump or other plumbing during chilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't get using nibs in the boil. They're a lot easier to use post-fermentation after soaking in spirits, and one could expect a lot of character is preserved that way that gets lost to the boil or to CO2 scrubbing during fermentation.

I do a chocolate stout that uses low-fat cocoa powder at flame-out, then nibs post-fermentation. It's a perennial favorite, and the recipe doesn't plug my pump - or more importantly, my plate chiller (that would be a nightmare...)

Cheers!

Back