Will beer mature in fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RanD_Brewer

Reaction score
I bottled a Blind Pig clone 5 days ago. Tried one today and was perfectly carbed but not matured. FG on this brew is 1.016. I've had previous brews that are way over carbed so I want to put everything in the fridge to stop the carbing.

My question, will chilling everything also stop the hop & oak flavors from fully developing?

Thanks.

How long did it ferment and how long has it been in the bottles? Depending on the beer, yes, as long as your process and sanitation is solid, letting it "age" in the fridge will be beneficial. With that said, it all depends on what style of beer it is and what you're tasting. It could just be a "green" beer and needs time for the flavors to blend or is could be a flaw in your process which is causing an off flavor.

If you provide the recipe, your process and describe what you're tasting I'm sure all the great brewers here will easily be able to provide some great suggestions on what might be the problem. Help us, help you! LOL

Well, I don't have the exact recipe handy, but it was about 11-12# LME and 4 oz hops. I used 2 yeast strains. OG 1.070. In fermenter for 3 weeks. Transferred to secondary and added 2 more oz hops and 1 oz oak chips. In secondary for 1 week and bottled. FG 1.016. Tried 1st bottle after 5 days - perfect carbonation but flavors were mild. Still tastes very good though.

I mainly want to know if the flavors will still develop if I keep the bottles refrigerated.

The flavors will still develop in the fridge; however they will develop more slowly than had you left it in a warmer environment (kitchen, closet etc.)

Back