Will a Ferulic Acid Rest with Highly Modified Malts Thin the Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrotherBock

Reaction score
Or is this something that only matters at the protein rest temps?

If yes, then is a portion of unmalted (or floor-malted) grain recommended? And wouldn't that then also require the protein rest?

Since that grist should have a significant proportion of wheat in it, there should be plenty of body remaining. I always perform a ferrulic rest for my Hefe's and always have huge head and body in those beers. By the way, I just saw a research report from the Institute of Brewing and Distilling and the researcher found that 40% wheat produced the highest level of ferrulic and 4VG. I would have expected that higher wheat content would have been better, but what do I know! I'll be trying 40% next time.

a research report from the Institute of Brewing and Distilling and the researcher found that 40% wheat produced the highest level of ferrulic and 4VG. I would have expected that higher wheat content would have been better, but what do I know! I'll be trying 40% next time.

Good to know. Only done a couple Hefes before, but can't say I've ever used less than 50% wheat. They're saying that 40% produced more ferulic and 4VG than grists with a higher % of wheat? That seems counter-intuitive to me. I'd be curious to know why exactly.

So I'm going to maybe answer my own question here (for those that are interested).

I did a ferulic acid rest on a 10 gal hefe that was 10.5 lbs 2 row, 10.5 lbs white wheat and 2lbs flaked wheat. I over shot the acid rest a little and ended up around 115. Did this for about 20 minutes. Then mashed at 153.

I did a similiar rest to a wit once before but had mashed it a little lower than this hefe. Both seem too thin in the body. This being despite that over 50% of the grist is wheat.

Given my two recent experiences I'm about ready to give up the ferulic acid rest. It seems to be thinning out my beers. Maybe I could do it with a portion of unmalted wheat? I don't know. But if any of you are thinking about doing this take my experiences for whatever they're worth to you.

Back