wild kombucha starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CactusCrab

Reaction score
I was looking around to see if anyone has created a SCOBY from wild yeast and almost everyone said that it's nearly impossible. but why? why can you ferment tea like you can other things. so i went outside with a knife and some clean labeled bags and collected a few different things. i collected oak bark, birch sap, apple bark, spruce sap, tamarack bark and sap, and some flowers and fruits. some of these things should contain yeast, so why dont i just use them to ferment tea? when i asked some question on other sites they all said i would need a store bought SCOBY of some kind. i have lots of different samples and i was wondering if anyone had any tips of how i should do this. i am not intending this to work the first time but i have a lot of time and a lot of tea so why not try?

A SCOBY is not just yeast. It is a "Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast." That means the yeast and bacteria need to work together. I'm no biologist, but I assume that not all yeast will work in tandem with the bacteria needed to make Kombucha. Also, I'm not sure where you would get the needed bacteria in the wild.

you make a good point, so far i have done no thinking about this, all i have done is take a large knife to some trees and hope for the best. i have a feeling that when i finally figure out what i'm going to do with all of my samples im gonna end up with a jar full of green tea flavoured vinegar. i'm currently looking for sources of the main bacteria used in it, and i may not create an exact store bought SCOBY but i might end up with something close

Latest posts

Back