Wild Fermentation Yields Juniper Aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRussMeister

Reaction score
Whenever I brew, I always try to ferment my trub, gravity sample, and the bit of extra wort I have in the kettle with whatever is in the air. I recently brewed a dark English Mild and overshot my gravity a bit. So I diluted it down and had about a gallon and a half extra of fresh wort that I had no ready yeast to deal with. So I set it out in my basement and let it go. It has been a month now. I see that there had been some activity, I have some colonies on floating and some in it as well.

What I found awesome was that I get a really heavy juniper aroma from it! Does anyone know what wild fauna can throw these sorts of flavors? Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

local yeasts can throw a lot of scents. The one I cultured this spring is a heavy banana smell and very light to no flavor contributions. Obviously it will make a great hefe, maybe. I'll do some more in the fall, I'd like to get a good local saison strain.

What sort of attenuation did it give you? Juniper could be worked into some interesting recipes!

Back