Wicking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyman1000

Reaction score
Anyone else have trouble with wort wicking out up the bag and out of the pot during the mash? I was pretty close to the max of what my pot could hold so I'm sure that was most of the problem.

I use the Home Depot paint strainer bags and haven't had that problem. What material is your bag made out of?

Not sure. I've had it for about a year. It came with a Northern Brewer BIAB kit. I'm thinking I just tried to fly too close to the sun. Trying to get all I can out of my pot.

The lid for my pot has a dimple in the middle of it and I forget that when I fill the pot to the max. When I put the lid on that dimple displaces some of the liquid and it leaks over the side. That may not be your problem.

No, I don't thinks so. I think I just tried to fill the pot too much. I only had about 0.5 inch of headspace once I added in the grains.

That happened to me when i tried to fill the pot with 7.5-8 gallons of water. I use a ten gallon pot and a few bigger grain bills did wick the wort up my viole bag and outside the pot. That was with 20+ lb grainbills. I now always use 7 gallons and havent had the problem again. The most grain i have used with 7 gallons has been in the 10-16 range so i might use less water for my high gravity brews in the future.

Latest posts

Back