"Wicked Wight" IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeSparrow

Reaction score
I've posted a few recipes here and have gotten such helpful feedback from you guys, but I've decided on the first one I'd like to try out on my BIAB all grain setup. Being that it's summer, and my favorite style of beer to drink is IPA it was an easy decision to decide to go down that path. What sounds even more refreshing than that to me is making a Wheat IPA. I've always enjoyed Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Ale and have heard great things about Three Floyds Gumballhead so after researching those clone recipes I have constructed this recipe, building it in Beersmith2. I'm going for a nice refreshing IPA/Wheat beer combo. Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated:

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Wicked Wight IPA
Brewer: Hexwater Brewery (jake)
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14.88 gal
Post Boil Volume: 12.18 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.04 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 6.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 87.5 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 45.8 %
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 45.8 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.3 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 10.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 16.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 2.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 6.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 10.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 2.2 IBUs
2.01 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.0 pkg Pacific Ale (White Labs #WLP041) [35.49 Yeast 13 -
4.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Day Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 24 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 30.00 qt of water at 163.5 F 150.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 10.26 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

*Note: Not sure if I will be sparging or not, that will all be decided the day before brew day.

With BIAB and wheat I have heard that draining the bag can take longer. The logistics of doing it are the only thoughts that I find concerning. The recipe itself looks fantastic.

Thanks again. I'll have to read up on brewing wheat beers with BIAB, there's probably a few workarounds. Or, perhaps I can use the pale 2 row grains and replace the white wheat with wheat extract?

Personally, I would increase the IBUs to 80 or so by adding a 60 min addition of a bittering hop. If you want to hit the estimated OG, increase the 2-row as your efficiency is likely to be lower than 75% on your first all grain. That said, I prefer to brew lighter in the summer so I would keep it as is. Otherwise, looks great to me!

Wheat extract is 50/50 usually. So replacing the wheat with that would cut the wheat by half. Instead of modifying the recipe I would focus on how to drain the bag. If you have a hoist or something then it is no big deal. If you have to hold it then 15 minutes would be rough. Perhaps a colander can be found that can fit your pot.

As for the IBUs, I would leave them for this reason alone: if your efficiency is bad then you made a really hoppy pale ale with 50 IBUs. Either way the 50 IBUs will make a balanced beer. But if you go up to 80 and have bad efficiency then the beer will seem unbalanced.

Yah I was actually favoring the IBUs coming from later additions or hop bursting if that is what it is called, if I ever needed to kick them up I have Galena I can use as a bittering hop. I don't have a hoist but I was thinking I can sanatize a circular steel grill type thing I can set the bag on or something like that. If I can find somewhere to install the pulley and joist it up I'd rather do that.

For my taste, I wouldn't use that much caramel malt but I have taken to not using any caramel malt in my IPAs. It really lets the hops shine.

For my taste, I wouldn't use that much caramel malt but I have taken to not using any caramel malt in my IPAs. It really lets the hops shine.

I was thinking about that as well, I was just trying to add some nice color to it while sticking to only ingredients my LHBS carried. Maybe I can use some Munich instead

I was thinking about that as well, I was just trying to add some nice color to it while sticking to only ingredients my LHBS carried. Maybe I can use some Munich instead

This is my double IPA only a week after bottling (which is why there isn't much head) it was a 5 gallon batch and had 16lbs of pale 2 row and 1 lb of white wheat. I was really worried it would be too light colored but I think the color is great and I don't miss the caramel flavors at all. I wish there were more IPAs and double IPAs without the caramel. Sorry its not the best pic.

20140624_215344_zpssts4xdwk.jpg

Wow that is a good color for using the grain bill that you did. I'll definitely cut out the crystal since the reason was to add color. And thinking about it more, even if it came out light, I'm not trying to win a homebrew competition with this haha. A nice hazy straw colored beer would be pretty to look at anyways :p!

I would also recommend lowering the crystal malt amount. If i want more colour in a wheat beer, i use wheat munich, which gives a little more colour without sweetness.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wow that is a good color for using the grain bill that you did. I'll definitely cut out the crystal since the reason was to add color. And thinking about it more, even if it came out light, I'm not trying to win a homebrew competition with this haha. A nice hazy straw colored beer would be pretty to look at anyways :p!

Yeah that was my thinking too. I was sure it would turn out lighter than it did because all the sample with yeast in suspension were super light colored. Once the yeast dropped out I was left with a beautiful beer. Let us know how it turns out!

That's going to be a heavy bag to lift out of the kettle. I would recommend a hoist, as you can drain for as long as you want without extra effort. You can also be bringing the wort up to boil, adding hops, etc. while you continue draining. I saw a video where they used a step ladder to suspend the hoist over the pot. I liked the idea, and have used it on the two BIAB's I have done so far (I'm a newbie and have only five brews under my belt.) I did find that a 6 foot step ladder made things a little crowded over the pot, so I use an 8 foot ladder. For the future, I plan to place a hook in one of my patio roof roof beams from which to hang the hoist.

BTW the recipe (and suggested changes) looks good. I'll have to put it on my tobrew list.

Happy brewing :mug:

Hujo, thanks, I may have to try that grain if they carry it at my LHBS. If not I'll stick with Munich to replace the Crystal.

WayFrae- Nice to see even when we plan out recipes, pleasant surprises still occur. Will definitely post tasting notes along this beers journey.

Doug- Wow I had never thought of that. Since I have to brew out on the patio and have nothing to attach the pulley system to, a ladder would be the perfect solution. Now I hope the ladder in the garage is big enough. Do you have a link for the video?

Thanks! Lemme know if you ever end up brewing it. I'll post the final recipe and tasting notes, brewday notes etc. once I finally get to brew it.

Jake,

Here's a photo of my ladder hoist during my first BIAB session (this is on the uncovered area of my deck):

I also found a video of another ladder hoist. Not sure if it is the same one I got the idea from, but it illustrates the technique.

BIAB Ladder Hoist 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back