Whym promises beer in 24 hours!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisC16

Reaction score
So, fresh from the 'global disruptors' at ZX Ventures (an arm of our friends AB-InBev) come the Whym.

whymkit.com

Make fresh beer on your counter top in 24 hours!
Why do all that silly waiting around for fermentation?

Instead, you get a can of beer base, add a few grains and hops, carb, and voila, something we claim is beer!

Is it just me, or does this just look like trying to mask the flavour of a can of Bud and recarbing it?

Idk I feel like that could be an interesting tool to try out different hop or specialty grain character. And if it works 80 bucks isn't bad. Albeit it does seem like I'd be adding it to a bud light but hell isn't that already a thing people do?

Why bother spending 80 bux to add some hops to a bud light?
I think i'll add this to the list of "Things i will never buy"

"WHYM beer takes 30 minutes to build and is ready to drink in 24 hours. Traditional homebrewing takes at least 4 weeks"

really?

That thing is too tiny for one thing. Interesting none the less.

And really whats up with that name?

"WHYM beer takes 30 minutes to build and is ready to drink in 24 hours. Traditional homebrewing takes at least 4 weeks"

really?

That thing is too tiny for one thing. Interesting none the less.

And really whats up with that name?

Clever marketing. You can make your own beer on a whim (Whym?)

This is for those who need "bragging rights' to impress their friends without the commitment of real brewing. "Yes, I made this beer" without any real work or time commitment. It's a good way to separate people from their money.

Clever marketing. You can make your own beer on a whim (Whym?)

This is for those who need "bragging rights' to impress their friends without the commitment of real brewing. "Yes, I made this beer" without any real work or time commitment. It's a good way to separate people from their money.

I don't read whym like whim.. but maybe your on to something.

I just see Why "m". Like 2 women talking and one asks "Why Him?" haha

The thing is way too small anyway. Looks like 3 or 4 beer to me. Its pitiful really. What a waste of everything. And they will probably sell a few million dollars worth. Its sad to me. Crooks.

"The kit includes clear and easy instructions for ordering the beer base from our delivery partner,
which will deliver your beer in about an hour."

Beer delivered to my home? That's not a bad idea;)

The beauty of this system is there's no fermentation needed. The beer base is beer, already brewed; all you're doing is adding flavors via steeped grains and hop something-or-other. Then carbing using a CO2 cartridge.

So are you making beer with this kit? No. You're flavoring beer and then carbing it.

That said, derision aside, if you'd have asked me what they'd charge for something like this, I'd have guessed $139. Is it a reasonable way to evaluate different flavor elements? I don't know--no effective dry hopping, not sure how the hops work....

Maybe you could brew your own beer and ferment it with just a base malt, then use that to which you'd add specialty grains, maybe some hops....

But even then, who'd know what the conversion would be in brewing real all-grain beer?

I don't read whym like whim.. but maybe your on to something.

I just see Why "m". Like 2 women talking and one asks "Why Him?" haha

The thing is way too small anyway. Looks like 3 or 4 beer to me. Its pitiful really. What a waste of everything. And they will probably sell a few million dollars worth. Its sad to me. Crooks.

Says it's a six pack worth. I don't know, seems like it has the potential to be a better entry than Mr Beer and you are left with a nice growler which will maintain carbonation. They never say you are brewing, just building. I wonder what the base beer is and how it's packaged.

Give us $80 to add flavors to our flavorless beer! Then tell your friends you "home brewed" our flavorless beer with added flavors!

A fool and their money.....

Beer base delivery in one hour? They have stock and distribution centers 1 hour from anyone???? I doubt even InBev has beer within 1 hour of everyone in the US!!! Think of very rural places.

The vessel itself is kind of cool. You could put actual homebrew in it and have a nice mini keg/growler hybrid. Ain't ever buying it though.

Beer base delivery in one hour? They have stock and distribution centers 1 hour from anyone???? I doubt even InBev has beer within 1 hour of everyone in the US!!! Think of very rural places.

That's what I was thinking. I don't think there is anything in place to actually follow through with this. It's a market feeler and a very stupid one.

I love this idea..."HOST A ROOFTOP GATHERING". I wonder who they are targeting with this? My roof is pretty steep and covered with snow right now... Not the best place to drink beer;)

That's what I was thinking. I don't think there is anything in place to actually follow through with this. It's a market feeler and a very stupid one.

I love this idea..."HOST A ROOFTOP GATHERING". I wonder who they are targeting with this? My roof is pretty steep and covered with snow right now... Not the best place to drink beer;)

The target audience would be apartment dwelling hipsters, though a sixer of beer doesn't amount to much of a rooftop gathering.

To be honest, this isn't a bad idea for trying out new hops. Buy their kit, and make your own "beer base" (How much do you want to bet it's just fully fermented, unhopped, 2-row only beer?), then follow the instructions to do the hop infusion. Carbonate using their growler/CO2 cartridges and taste.

On the roof - the only place I know
Where you just have to wish to make it so

Why spend $80 when you can wish new character into cheap beer?

Bob and I both laughed and laughed at this.

We can drink beer on my rooftop if you'd rather- my pitch is something like 12/12, and it's metal, so there isn't any snow on it right now. Maybe we could rope ourselves to the chimney and use a come-along?

It sounds like one of those "Hold my beer and watch this!" type of events.

I'm IN! :rockin:

No mention of the price for the beer base.... Or the recipe kits... Or the co2 cartridges.... This could get expensive to have flavored up swill.

Plop your money down now and for the next ?? wonder if you will ever get it?????

Wow ... so many closed minds.
Has anyone posting here actually tried this thing.
I dont think they are marketing to those that already brew beer.
And I admit ... I dont think this would be something I would want but there are a lot of people looking for the next party gadget.
And who knows ... it might introduce some of the malt beverage drinkers to the wide world of hops and grains.
Perhaps spark interest in real brewing.
That certainly cant be a bad thing ... can it?

And I admit ... I dont think this would be something I would want but there are a lot of people looking for the next party gadget.
And who knows ... it might introduce some of the malt beverage drinkers to the wide world of hops and grains.
We live to mock.

Maybe, but they are marketing it with homebrew in mind since they claim "WHYM beer takes 30 minutes to build and is ready to drink in 24 hours. Traditional homebrewing takes at least 4 weeks."

Even the more stubborn of us homebrewers have already acknowledged that, in theory, this would be a good way try hop varieties and experiment. However, it's probably cheaper and more practical to join a homebrew club or research the commercial beers you've tried.

This would be best used as a way to dispense whippets to huff. That would actually get a pretty good party started . If they actually get enough sells to put in bed bath and beyond i will be buying the beer base on clearance after Christmas.

Fact is, there's nothing InBev could/would sell that some people would believe in. If it were not for A-B a lot of you would never have started drinking beer, and you have to do that before you decide to brew it.

This to me is like Mr. Beer. If it brings more people into brewing, I'm happy to see it happen.

Anyway, something I've not seemed mentioned so far is interesting:

**Due to U.S. alcohol restrictions, we cannot legally include the beer base in the kit. The kit includes clear and easy instructions for ordering the beer base from our delivery partner, which will deliver your beer in about an hour.
Interesting ... I assume there's got to be some geographic restrictions here.

Fact is, there's nothing InBev could/would sell that some people would believe in. If it were not for A-B a lot of you would never have started drinking beer, and you have to do that before you decide to brew it.

BMC beer is why I DESPISED beer until I tasted New Belgian Brewing Fat Tire (back when you could only get it in 22 oz. bottles and the bottle had yeast sediment).

I would'nt be so sure of that ive often wondered how many have been turned away from homebrewing because of bad beer made in a mr beer kit. i bought a mr beer kit for a friend and showed him how to make it he has'nt brewed since.

I would'nt be so sure of that ive often wondered how many have been turned away from homebrewing because of bad beer made in a mr beer kit. i bought a mr beer kit for a friend and showed him how to make it he has'nt brewed since.
Some folks make bad beer after spending lots of money on "good" kits. Some folks make bad beer and are inspired to do better next time. I think the latter will always be inspired to do better no matter where they start, where the former will always likely be disappointed that nothing in this life worth doing is worth learning.

This to me is like Mr. Beer. If it brings more people into brewing, I'm happy to see it happen.

Anyway, something I've not seemed mentioned so far is interesting:

Interesting ... I assume there's got to be some geographic restrictions here.

Possible restrictions:

"California is one of 18 states where the delivery of beer, wine and liquor is allowed with no restrictions. Nine states prohibit such deliveries. Even in New York, known for bringing almost anything to your doorstep, delivery of alcohol is restricted by quantity, and the delivery truck must be clearly marked."

I didn't actually try to go through with the purchase but if it's illegal to deliver beer to my door in my state, I wonder if they would still pre-sell me one?

Maybe they are way ahead of this and have already had these laws changed:rolleyes:

Horse Hockey!

With flippant sailor talk like this, you sir, can consider yourself uninvited to my next rooftop gathering.

gnZaN5b.gif

Back