Why won't my delicious ESB pour?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrappinit

Reaction score
Hey all-

So I've got 5 gallons of delicious ESB in the keg but I don't have the patience to drink it because it pours INCREDIBLY slowly. We're talking 3-4 minutes per pint!

I force carbed for a little over a week to 2 volumes. Per the handy carbonation chart, this was around 8 PSI @ 40 degrees F.

When I pour, it's barely a trickle coming out of the picnic tap. I even turned the regulator up to 12 PSI with no noticeable difference in pouring speed. It's been at 12 PSI for a few days now and still pours exactly the same.

It's my first beer through this keg, could it be something wrong with the keg itself? Is there anything I can try?

The beer is definitely carbonated enough for the style and I really enjoy it, but why is it taking so long?!

Thanks-
Scrapp

Assuming there isn't a hop issue that wasn't mentioned, most likely either the Out post poppet isn't fully opening or the plunger on the quick disconnect isn't opening fully. You should check each for ease of movement (I'd definitely leave the PRV open while you check the post) - especially if the post poppet isn't original. So-called "universal" poppets often aren't, for instance...

Cheers!

Sounds like something is clogged. Release the pressure and remove the whole liquid side - posts, tube etc. Clean it all out, sanitize and reattach.

This happened to me once with my converted mini fridge. Turned out that the lines and keg had frozen.

Hey all-

Thanks for the responses. I depressurized and removed / cleaned / reinstalled the liquid side. The poppet was definitely sitting a little funny in the keg so after I reinstalled everything I made sure that the poppet could depress smoothly using a small wooden dowel.

Not sure if the root cause was a clog or the weird poppet, but regardless it's pouring just fine now.

Thanks-
Scrapp

Back