Why Soak Faucet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerkbag

Reaction score
heyo,

I've been cleaning my beer lines with Oxiclean followed by hot water every keg or so, but have never bothered disassembling & soaking the perlick faucets (kegging about 8 months). Is there a compelling reason to do this? Presumably whatever part of the faucet is in contact with the beer is cleaned during the line cleaning process, no?

And a related question: if I want to use as little CO2 as possible in line cleaning, is it better to have as little headspace as possible in the keg I am pushing the cleaner out of? I worry that a gallon of cleaner means a ton of headspace filled before the it gets pushed out?

Thanks!

Is there a compelling reason to do this? Presumably whatever part of the faucet is in contact with the beer is cleaned during the line cleaning process, no?

I clean mine about every six months. I check the internals to make sure everything looks good (seals, discoloration, build-up, etc.). I think it would be good practice to do so periodically, as sometimes build-up can occur on lips, ledges, and crannies of certain faucets. Also, I do not soak the parts, I clean by hand and find that to be more than sufficient.

And a related question: if I want to use as little CO2 as possible in line cleaning, is it better to have as little headspace as possible in the keg I am pushing the cleaner out of? I worry that a gallon of cleaner means a ton of headspace filled before the it gets pushed out?

The less head space, the less you have to fill with CO2. I am not sure it would bother me considered against the cost of the additional cleaning solution, but it would require more gas. An alternative method is to make a small pump, which I did, and works great. The link is below. No more CO2.

I generally clean my faucets and lines each time I change kegs because it takes me about 2 months to go through a keg.

I use BLC each time pushing cleaner through the lines and faucet with a modified garden sprayer. (Cost is roughly $20)

Before I started using BLC I used to disassemble my perlicks each time and clean and sanitize by hand. Worked fine. They are not hard to take apart and put back together.

I switched to the BLC when I read about using the garden sprayer and find it just as easy to soak the BLC while cleaning the keg and less wear and tear on the faucet assembly.

Back