Why should I start brewing again after over a year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmac

Reaction score
Been away from the boards for a while. I haven't brewed anything for over a year. I had some medical issues that made it difficult to carry 5 gallons of water up a ladder to pour into my kettle.That put a damper on my brewing.(past that now) I'm getting older(51) and thinking I should slow down on my drinking. My 2 daughters are growing up (6 and 9)and I'm thinking I should find a hobby we can do together on Saturdays. I can get craft beer almost anywhere these days. None of the in-laws give a bless about any beer but Bud Lite Lime. Wife hates beer.

Every day I'm looking at 40 pounds of base malt I haven't touched in over a year, several pounds of hops in the freezer and 100's of dollars in equipment wondering why I'm not excited about brewing.

Someone help me out. Why should I not sell everything and just buy craft beer ? What can I do to get excited about brewing again?

I have not been brewing too long (just over a year now) and i tend to take breaks that turn out to be months at a time, but I always get excited either looking through these posts or by brewing. For you I would say have a brew day and if it still doesn't excite you after that, then it might be time to just start buying the finished product.

For you I would say have a brew day and if it still doesn't excite you after that, then it might be time to just start buying the finished product.

I agree with this but,

My 2 daughters are growing up (6 and 9)and I'm thinking I should find a hobby we can do together

...this is the most important part.

It's hard to get excited about something you're not. If you want to get back into brewing find a fellow brewer and just talk brewing. Maybe sample some of his beer and think hey this is pretty good I'd like to brew this or hey this ain't bad, but I could do better...

I've been away from it for five years! I was a victim of the economy and lost damned near everything I (and the bank) owned. It's taken me five years to get back to where I'm living in my own house again. All my brewing equipment is stored in my dad's barn and is only a week or two from coming home. Home? Yep just moved in yesterday though she is still a work in progress.

So anyway I stored that stuff cuz I knew I'd want to get back in, but it has laid dormant until about last New Year when I met a fellow brewer and started talking brewing and sampling his brews. It's goes from there. A hobby I hadn't thought much about in those years suddenly came fighting it's way back to the surface.

Brewing doesn't have to be an obsession, brew once or twice a month and save a bunch of your time for your girls. You'll wake up one day and find they've moved on to younger men and only need daddy when their car or their heart is broken. Trust me on that one and enjoy them while you can.

Oh and quit humpin water up a ladder. Buy one of these. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUOSC0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree,they don't stay little for long. Boys take mom's side almost exclusively,won't speak up against her in your defense either. We had one daughter who will always be daddy's little girl to me. When they're little,daddy is God in their eyes. Then they start growing up & double team you with mom. Then the young bucks come sniffin around. That's a little rough on Dad,but Mom seams to enjoy it. I guess we as men are a bit more practical about it.
Having said that,brewing a couple times a month shouldn't get in the way. Just make time for the kids while they still look up to you. Trust me.:mug:

The main reason I brew is it is a challenge. Once I have got this down to perfection and I have brewed everything out there I will be done and wander off to another hobby. The cool thing is that will probably never happen as there is always something new to try out. Oh and I like to drink beer also. Lol

The main reason I brew is it is a challenge. Once I have got this down to perfection and I have brewed everything out there I will be done and wander off to another hobby. Lol

This is probably part of it. I already won an award after less than a year and a half.

Good advice. Maybe I could brew a few times a year maybe 2 batches at a time, or maybe a marathon weekend and fill up my kegs and set aside and tap as needed.

Thanks y'all :mug:

jetmac said:
I'm getting older(51) and thinking I should slow down on my drinking.
That's a lame excuse if ever I heard one

jetmac said:
None of the in-laws give a bless about any beer but Bud Lite Lime. Wife hates beer.
My friends who only drank "coors lite" were converted to real beer when they tried one of my lighter brews. Once you've got them tasting "good beer" - create a special low IBU but high gravity and see how that goes down, they'll notice the after effects of dirinking much faster... might even like it

Try giving wife a 6% not too hoppy low ibu beer (light ale) and add a splash of sprite to it, see what happens (my wife is happily drinking Belgian Tripel now and she hated beer)

jetmac said:
Every day I'm looking at 40 pounds of base malt I haven't touched in over a year, several pounds of hops in the freezer and 100's of dollars in equipment wondering why I'm not excited about brewing.
yeah, it's daunting with the prospect that the hobby is just for you

jetmac said:
Someone help me out. Why should I not sell everything and just buy craft beer ? What can I do to get excited about brewing again?
Think about the points above, might work BUT with daughters at 6 and 9, you haven't hit the high-school Saturdays yet when you're too busy chasing around after them to even breathe. Get some time in now cause in 3 or 4 years, you won't have a Saturday available to speak of

I was thinking brew up a recipe you really enjoyed that you haven't done in a while. That might do it. Anticipation can be a powerful thing...:mug:

I am going to be different from the rest.

Do you want to get back into brewing or are you just trying to convince yourself that you might want to. If you do not want to and do not think that you are going to enjoy it the same, then do not pick it up again. Sell off the equipment or gift it to someone who will use it. Maybe make a quick batch (PM or even AE if you really want it to be quick) and see if it is still what you want to do. No sense forcing yourself to do something you don't enjoy.

On the other hand if you really want to keep doing it, brewing is good bonding time with children. During the mash/boil you have time to sit around and sip a soda and shoot the snot with the kids, you have assistants for fetching things, hauling water, additions (who doesnt love dropping in the hops?) and maybe as a result be able to hand down your equipment to one/both of them when they are old enough. Maybe even see if they are interested in soda making. Teach them some constructive hobbies where they are able to get outside and away from the TV/Computer.

These are just ideas from a random guy on the internet who does not know you or your family, take or leave any and all of it as you will. Welcome back.

Not a good sign if you're 51 and you're asking others to convince you of what you like to do.

You could sell/gift your stuff away like DrunkleJon said. If the right person gets, you just might be able to convince them to do the brewing for you if you help them or buy ingredients or something.

You don't sound excited about it anymore and that's ok. Just get rid of the stuff and find a hobby to do with your girls. If you don't enjoy something, or find excuses why you don't do it, then figure something else out.

I'm 53, and have been brewing for less than two years now. My daughter who is 16, is more interested in F#ce book, and of course texting the boy she now says is her boyfriend. I have been around the boy for three years or so, and he has my trust.
My little angel , cough, cough, is very interest in baking, so if can figure out how to bake while brewing, I'm sure she will pitch in.

I'm 53, and have been brewing for less than two years now. My daughter who is 16, is more interested in F#ce book, and of course texting the boy she now says is her boyfriend. I have been around the boy for three years or so, and he has my trust.
My little angel , cough, cough, is very interest in baking, so if can figure out how to bake while brewing, I'm sure she will pitch in.

It's not exactly baking, but you could work with her on making candi sugar for your Belgian beers. Or you could bond over making spent grain bread and other spent grain items after the brew :)

You don't have to brew a tremendous amount if you're looking to cut back on your drinking. Once or twice a quarter would probably be enough for you.

So I am 34. I have 3 kids (2 girls 12 and 10, boy, 7). 2 days ago, my oldest daughter told me that I drink too much beer (I had just kegged a milk stout, a citra pale, and a harvest ale and I was sitting down with my 3 noncarbonated samples in front of the tv). I know that I drink too much, but to have my daughter notice kind of made me feel like a bad parent. Of course I have tons of beer on hand so what do I do? My wifes solution... throw more parties so friends help it disappear. I love brewing, so instead of quitting, I think I will do smaller batches. Maybe more barleywines and RIS's.. stuff that I can age and give away for gifts. If I was sick of it... I would sell everything. 10 yrs down the road, I want to get back into it... start over acquiring the equipment I always wanted, lol!

i want to first say that i hope what im about to say doesn't come off to rude as this forum is full of all sorts of friendly information and assistance.

but i find it interesting that a 51 year old man would ask for assistance in convincing himself to start liking something again. :confused:

the way i see it is you either like it or you don't. there isn't a person on this earth who can tell you how you feel. i mean you said so yourself..."wondering why I'm not excited about brewing."

so you have more important things in life such as family and health.. this is a good thing so why are you trying to trick yourself into making a decision you don't want to. if you wanted to brew you would. and asking for assistance from people who don't know you form Adam isn't going to help in my opinion.

again i know this sounds rude but i truly don't mean it to im just confused and have difficultly relating.

I don't understand why having 2 little daughters and being 51 means you have to quit something you love. Make time for it if it's something you like to do. And, you like beer right? Why does being 51 mean you have to cut it out? Unless you have health issues regarding alcohol consumption, then sure, cut it out. But there's no reason you can't brewing 3 gallon batches and drink a pint a day or even a couple pints a week. But the real question is, do you like to brew? Then brew. It's simple. You don't need to bring in any other factors. Brew for you. You can still find plenty of time and energy to do things with your daughters, whatever that may be.

I'm 41, have a 7 year old daughter, and I'm dealing with a back problem. I start physical therapy on Friday.

Every night I help my daughter with her homework. Every night I pay the bills. Every week I take my daughter to her cheer-tumble class. Every weekend I'm doing odd jobs around the house.

Just this week I helped her with addition by teaching her blackjack.

Brewing is my "me time." When I'm out in the driveway with the mash tun and brew kettle, that's my fortress of solitude. Everyone knows not to bother me.

I try to brew every month or two. This year I did a lot of long term wine, cyser, mead projects that have tied up my carboys. I've done, maybe 30 gallons of beer this year. I doubt I've drank half of it yet. I probably won't get to brewing again until January because of this back problem. But when I do get back to it, it will be my "me time" again.

Brewing is my "me time." When I'm out in the driveway with the mash tun and brew kettle, that's my fortress of solitude. Everyone knows not to bother me.

Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!! We have a winner. Yes "me time". I forgot about that.

Being 35 to 41 def isn't like being 51. I retired at age 50 with a buy out from my company. The L2 disc I damaged at 23 came back to haunt me,& walking some 1/2M from the middle of a huge parking lot to the back of the plant. Then standing on rebar re-enforced concrete all day doing more work in less time. Ford stopped replacing workers as they retired. One day,I realized I just couldn't do it anymore. Now,at 57,I can't carry a 5 gallon brew kettle with 3 gallons of wort from the kitchen to the man cave anymore.
But that's what sons are for,so I get them to help me here & there. I still like brewing,since going pb/pm biab. The beers are way better,& that's a good thing. It keeps me going,knowing I've got all those cases of beer stacked up. Can't always afford commercial being retired. It's ironic that by the time you get the time your body starts dropping the F-bomb. Besides finances. But I ain't never gunna stop! :tank:

i want to first say that i hope what im about to say doesn't come off to rude as this forum is full of all sorts of friendly information and assistance.

but i find it interesting that a 51 year old man would ask for assistance in convincing himself to start liking something again. :confused:

the way i see it is you either like it or you don't. there isn't a person on this earth who can tell you how you feel. i mean you said so yourself..."wondering why I'm not excited about brewing."

so you have more important things in life such as family and health.. this is a good thing so why are you trying to trick yourself into making a decision you don't want to. if you wanted to brew you would. and asking for assistance from people who don't know you form Adam isn't going to help in my opinion.

again i know this sounds rude but i truly don't mean it to im just confused and have difficultly relating.

:) Sorry to say, I agree. I don't care whether you do or not, so why are you asking *me*?

So you have a 6 & 9 year old, don't wanna haul the 5 gal of water up a ladder and need a hobby you can do with the kids....

Dude... Let the kids haul the water up the ladder. Problem solved!

Your welcome.

Life it too short to waste time on something you dont enjoy. It sounds like you have made brewing a chore. If you cant find a way to simplify it and brew just because you enjoy the experience, then just cut the cord brother and move on to something else!

I started brewing back in 1995 (ish). Went through a very busy period in my life (getting married, stepkids, Grad. Classes, etc. etc.). My time for brewing deteriorated and I started "trying" to fit it in. Started getting sloppy, turned out more and more mediocre-bad beer. Came to the point you described - "Why should I take the time and effort to make what I could easily buy." And that is exactly what I did for 4-5 years. I bought craft beer and just put it on tap in my basement. Problem solved. Always had some good beer around, no work, or effort, or disappointment.

Then one day when things started to slow down I kind of got the urge to brew again. Took a couple days to clean and organize my brew-room. Threw out all my plastic. Bought new plastic. Bought a couple basic all grain kits to get my feet wet again. And remembered how much I loved brewing. Love it now way more than I did before. As you described - "Me" time. It is one of the most relaxing and fun things I do. I look forward to brew day. When I came back to brewing, I took my time. I learned a LOT more than I had known before. I make more beer now than ever. I make WAY better beer than I used to.

But, you gotta do it when you "want" to. You don't "have to" do it at all. And, taking a year off is no big deal - hell, I took 4-5 off. If you force yourself to brew you will likely be disappointed in the experience and the product. Brew again when you are ready and inspired. Get organized first. Start back up with something basic and easy. Learn some things that will make you better than when you brewed last. Pay attention to the details and enjoy the process.

It is a hobby, not a job. If it feels like a job - you are better off just buying some good craft beer and enjoying that.

Cheers.

Spring chicken or not, I think a few well-placed, well-behaved March pumps can do a world of good. Switch from gravity-fed to pumps?

I feel pretty accomplished when I put in my 8 hours between brewing and bottleing when in 4-8 weeks Im enjoying something I wasnt 4-8 weeks ago. That said my first two years brewing climax has come to slow in the last yr or two and became whenever I get around to it type thing for me, or if I was buying in bulk again I would be making consistant small batches every or every other weekend til my grain sack is gone.

I buy and drink more craft beer than what I brew,and even then has come to a slow because Im having a harder time these days finding something I already havent. I kinda combined craft beer research as a hobby with brewing, that and I can compare my beer with good craft beer. Ill never quit it but I wont probably be making beer every or every other weekend like I was unless I decide to buy bulk sack then Ill want to keep it fresh and brew often til I run my ingredience out. Even if I do that Ill probably break a while after the grain sack is gone.

Hell, make one batch then stop for another year if you want.

Back