Why not when force carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavrick1903

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if or why not to force carb through the liquid port? Just a thought as I try to get my mind around all the info about kegging.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Wondering if or why not to force carb through the liquid port? Just a thought as I try to get my mind around all the info about kegging.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It will work fine. It will carb faster than a non-agitated gas port force carb, due to the increased surface area of gas contact with the liquid.

Or you could just shake it at high pressure to do it fast.

Or you could set it at ~30PSI at 40F for 24 hours without agitation.

Read this thread. Link goes to last post, which is the "answer". https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/ca...rbonation-math-486647/index3.html#post6378122

It will work fine. It will carb faster than a non-agitated gas port force carb, due to the increased surface area of gas contact with the liquid.

Not disputing this info as I don't know enough about it, but I will question it. If you push in gas through the liquid out post won't the gas just pass through the beer to the surface/headspace anyway? I mean, yes there would be some additional surface area contact but isn't it extremely brief?

Also OP, I've read the disconnect ports might look the same but they aren't so the fitting will go on but not be exactly correct, so if you did go ahead and do this I'd probably suggest hooking up the gas line to a liquid disconnect.

Overall though, as Andrew noted, you can still carb up very fast with burst carbing. I occasionally do the non-shaking burst carb of 30psi for about 30 hours before purging and dialing it down to my desired psi and I've had my beer ready in 4 days.

Rev.

I've never tried it, but does the gas QD even fit on the liquid out post?

And I might be worried about nothing, but I don't think I'd want to do anything that could possibly result in liquid getting into the regulator, and hooking the gas up to something that is connected to the dip tube seems like it could make that happen.

The gas QDs (ball) fit on both, but the liquid QD will get stuck on the gas post...discovered this the hard way a few times.

I have done this a couple times as a way to speed up carbing when I've been super impatient. You can accomplish the same effect just by tipping the keg upside down so that the gas tube is submersed in beer and then shaking it. I've carbed a beer in 5 minutes with this; 5 mins of light shaking while the keg is tipped upside down at a 45 degree angle with the gas psi at 30. Then back into the kegerator, keep the head pressure at 30 but cut the gas going in and then let it settle for about an hour. Purge, apply regular serving psi and you're good to go.

It will get some beer into the gas line doing this though. I do it at 30 psi, and then hold the QD open with my thumb and spray out any little beer that gets in there. I wouldn't recommend doing it all the time, unless you want to clean out gas lines too.

Not disputing this info as I don't know enough about it, but I will question it. If you push in gas through the liquid out post won't the gas just pass through the beer to the surface/headspace anyway? I mean, yes there would be some additional surface area contact but isn't it extremely brief?

Yes and yes. Probably of minimal benefit.
Note also that you can run gas slowly in through the liquid tube to agitate the beer, and keep purging, it to quickly reduce the level of carbonation if the beer is over carbed. Be careful of foam.

yea, just turn the keg on the side and roll it back and forth slowly and carefully. You can hear the bubbles of the gas getting into the beer. Do this for 5-10 minutes at 20-30 psi and you should be good.

And I might be worried about nothing, but I don't think I'd want to do anything that could possibly result in liquid getting into the regulator, and hooking the gas up to something that is connected to the dip tube seems like it could make that happen.

This would be the main reason I would not do it. No real benefit (as mentioned - just hook it up to 25-30psi for a day or two if you want it fast) and plenty of down side if you shoot beer back into your regulator.

Same with rolling the keg on its side using CO2 post - be careful when you get to the point that equilibrium is being reached - beer will go back into your CO2 line at that point.

Couldn't you just attach a Carb Stone to about 2 feet of tubing, and then attach the other end to the Gas In dip tube?

Yes, just like a stone used for oxygenation, it will get gas into solution faster.

The shake method is pretty darn easy and cheep, though, and doesn't have a porous item in the beer that you have to sanitize.

I have backflow preventers on all of my manifolsd and regulators, so I have no worries about liquid, but I prefer the high pressure for 24 hours method.

Back