why not a large stainless sock in the mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorsbro

Reaction score
Instead of a false bottom, why not a large stainless sock that would fit into the keggle? I could make one thats nice and ridgid with a stainless rod frame, then it would be really easy to discard the grain after brewing....

You certainly could use that. I use a paint strainer in a bucket for my lautering. The biggest problem I have is that my bag doesn't hang down quite far enough, so the wort running through it tends to disrupt the liquid beneath it, stirring the draff up. If your SS sock is long enough it should work fine.

im not meaning a bag, almost like a liner of the keggle but staying off of the bottom about 3 or 4" for room for the dip tube to the bottom, im guessing maybe the "basket" would be a pain to clean?

Not really....just dump it in a bag (once it's drained well) and spray with a hose. The screen can retain some husks, but as long as you get most of them out, it's fine.

I have been trying to remember where I've seen tons of "mash basket" experimentation. Thought about it off and on all day, did a little HBT search -- and he's already posted. Look here.

What is needed is a 10" diameter SS mesh tea ball on an SS chain tether. Would be tricky to build, but should be doable.

I'm thinking of buying a couple of these guys to give a try. They are only 5.5" diameter, but two or three of them should hold a bunch of hops I would think:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FCMCMO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back