Why no Krausen during Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vindee

Reaction score
I did a Black Pearl Porter yesterday and pitched a London Ale WLP013.
Fermentation kicked off last night and today it's going like gang busters.
However there is no krausen. There was a lot of foaming when transferring from the boil kettle to the carboy ( more than usual) but that dissipated.
There was Malto Dexedrine and Lactose in this recipe I'm wondering if that could contribute to this?
Also, does this have any bearing on the head and head retention this beer will have?
Thanks

Haven't ever used wlp013, but some yeasts definitely produce more krausen than others. This might just be a characteristic of the yeast. I don't think it is an indication of future head retention but I'm not 100% sure on this.

What is the wort temperature at the present. Very high temperatures can show less krausen with some yeasts.

What is the wort temperature at the present. Very high temperatures can show less krausen with some yeasts.

Was fermenting in the house and the carboy measured 74 deg. I moved it to the cool garage this morning and now it's showing in the upper 60's.
I usually ferment in the house and always have krausen but this is the first time brewing this beer.

the oats probably killed the krausen. i've had the same thing happen when using oats. i'm not saying this will always happen with oats but it has happened every time i've used a largish amount of oats.

Same thing for me. Black Pearl Porter with S-04 and it just had an inch or so of foam that didn't reasemble a krausen. I'd go with the oats as the source.

Thanks for the information.
So it sounds like this should have no effect on the final product.
Everything went well with this brew so was hoping that the krausen issue wasn't something bad.

Some batches get crazy krausen, others not so much. I haven't seen a correlation between krausen and attenuation, so I usually don't worry about it. If you want a scientific explanation, try posting over at the brew science forum. That's where the smart people usually hang out.

the beer i brewed with oats was a wit and the finished beer had no head either. it was one of my earlier brews and didn't taste that great anyway so i ended up dumping the batch. this is a short video that i made of the fermentation and is representative of the entire fermentation, never formed a krausen at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back