Why no Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellrazor1200

Reaction score
Ok Hello all :) I've been brewing for about a little over a year now on and off and now my brother and I have been brew battling. He's been brewing random fruit juices and I made a few things... I made a straight corn and sugar mash, then an oat and sugar mash , then a chamomile and cinnimon tea wine. I have no idea what juices my brother made. I sterolized my equipment, that being my 1 gallon glass juggs. He used my half gallon jug and a somewhat large jar(I'd say a quart) and he used no sanitation at all. We both used the same exact packet of bakers yeast. His juices fermented in like a few days where as my stuff taste sweet still and its been over two weeks. I guess it's from the cold as where I kept the brew was somewhat cold as the house is'nt really heated too well but his juice fermented fine and mine still hasn't? I'm drinking the tea wine regardless as I slightly feel about a 5% deal in it but I've brewed many ciders and washes before WITH bread yeast in cold climates without problems. And just a side note I went to my brewshop, which mind you is completely out of the way and has barely anything lol, to get a few packs of Red Star which I pitched in all of my brews but still no avail and that was like a week ago. Also I had about 3 cups of sugar to everything I brewed because there's no sugar naturally in the tea, oats or corn which was not mashed per say with malt...those were just to you know distill. but they didnt ferment either way.... So any ideas? Thanks All
Isaac-

Wow, there is a lot going on in that post! So you have three different things you are trying to ferment but there does not seem to be any fermentation going on. Obviously it must be fermenting if you are "feeling" about 5% alcohol in your tea wine. How old was your bread yeast? It isn't uncommon to get dead packets of that stuff. If your redstar isn't causing fermentation either then you should check over all of your ingredients again. If you used anything with a preservative then that will kill the yeast. Man, I hope some of what I wrote made sense.

Paragraphs would be a start!

You mentioned the word distill so I'm not going any further with this:(

Latest posts

Back