Why is it..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will never be the guy to throw it in your face, but I'll merely say this: I love BIAB. I do it for all my batches (unless it's a gluten free extract). And I've always hit my gravities and volumes basically spot on with about 80% efficiency.

But, like with almost every hobby or anything in general, there are like ten ways to skin this cat. It simply matters what works for YOU.

First off, let me state that I am a BIAB brewer. Been that way since my very first batch. I use this method for one reason and one reason only: it's stupid simple. And I'm all about simplicity. If there are 5 ways to do something and all will achieve the same result, I will take the simplest path, which usually also has the added benefit of being the most cost effective.

When I first decided to try my hand at homebrewing, I did A LOT of research before I bought any equipment. Decided right off the bat that it was going to be AG from the start. Money wasn't really a limiting factor, but I also didn't want to spend more than I had to. I was all set to go traditional AG, and was in the process of finding a cooler on Craigslist to convert to an MLT, fretting over whether I should go braid or manifold. Then I stumbled across BIAB. Both methods achieve the same result using the same ingredients, but with BIAB the MT is my boil kettle and the LT can be wadded up into a ball and tossed into my BK for storage. I was living in a townhome at the time, so space was a premium. Advantage BIAB. Another advantage to BIAB is no worries about a stuck sparge. Ever. As a new brewer, this was one less thing I needed to be concerned about. When it came down to it, it was a no-brainer really. If I were going to be doing 10g batches, I could see going the MLT route, though BIAB is still viable, but for 5g batches, BIAB fits my needs perfectly. And with no pulley system or stepladder boom and no mess.

With the background out of the way, now on to OP's question:

I think some of it may have to do with the bizarre shroud of mystery surrounding AG brewing that it seems a lot of new brewers appear to harbor, which seems to be propagated by AG brewers for some reason. You see it in the "About to do my first AG batch" posts, as well as statements like, "I'm hoping to go AG someday, but for now, I'm resolved to brewing with extract" that are scattered all over this site. For some reason, a lot of new brewers are intimidated by the prospect of brewing AG, as if it's some kind of super-human feat. And it doesn't help when experienced brewers tell them to take baby steps by first doing a few extract brews to get their feet when, then graduate to steeping/PM, then after you've got all that mastered, go ahead and dive into the mysterious and complex world of AG. I kind of get it, but then again, I really don't. Like I said, AG is all I've ever known. My first batch was simple and easy and it only got easier from there.

So, with all of the above in mind, when one of these timid souls breaches the subject of possibly branching out into AG brewing, those of us who are enthusiastic about BIAB, knowing how stupid simple it is and realizing that we're dealing with potential delicate flowers, will enthusiastically lobby them to go BIAB so they too can share in AG nirvana without stressing over MLT's and fittings, and braid vs. manifold, etc. Let's not kid ourselves; anybody who is already doing AG knows how easy it is. For those contemplating AG for the first time, you can take two routes: 1) read a couple of books, watch some youtube vids, browse these forums for a while, then get after it; or 2) seek comfort, advice, handholding, and reassurance from other HBTers as to which path they should take to achieve AG. The former don't need our advice and will do whatever they think will work best for them. The latter, however, by the their very nature, need the simplest route possible. My personal opinion is that BIAB fits that bill perfectly, so when somebody comes asking, it's safe to assume we're dealing with a #2 personality and throwing a MLT project at them, while certainly doable, may not be the best fit, otherwise they probably would have already done it.

Sorry for the long post. Also, if I've offended anybody, I apologize. It certainly was not my intent.

I just don't know why most BIAB brewers think AG with a round cooler tun is so much more complicated?

My brew days are as simple simon as you can get... and I brew AG with a round cooler tun.

Gary

Why is it that when anyone asks a question about switching to all grain that the BIABers all chime in and flood the thread with responses saying "GO BIAB!!!!!!!!" (number of !'s varys) instead of just saying that BIAB is an option (if they need to promote it) and then answer the question as asked instead of just pushing everyone towards BIAB? I have done both, and honestly prefer regular AG with MLT, etc. I just find it odd that the more 'traditional' AG people aren't as... rabid (probably not the right word for this, but it is the equivalent of a Monday at work today) in their support for a style of brewing.

It's a well know fact that BIABers are monsters without souls. That's why. :D

First off, let me state that I am a BIAB brewer. Been that way since my very first batch. I use this method for one reason and one reason only: it's stupid simple. And I'm all about simplicity. If there are 5 ways to do something and all will achieve the same result, I will take the simplest path, which usually also has the added benefit of being the most cost effective.

When I first decided to try my hand at homebrewing, I did A LOT of research before I bought any equipment. Decided right off the bat that it was going to be AG from the start. Money wasn't really a limiting factor, but I also didn't want to spend more than I had to. I was all set to go traditional AG, and was in the process of finding a cooler on Craigslist to convert to an MLT, fretting over whether I should go braid or manifold. Then I stumbled across BIAB. Both methods achieve the same result using the same ingredients, but with BIAB the MT is my boil kettle and the LT can be wadded up into a ball and tossed into my BK for storage. I was living in a townhome at the time, so space was a premium. Advantage BIAB. Another advantage to BIAB is no worries about a stuck sparge. Ever. As a new brewer, this was one less thing I needed to be concerned about. When it came down to it, it was a no-brainer really. If I were going to be doing 10g batches, I could see going the MLT route, though BIAB is still viable, but for 5g batches, BIAB fits my needs perfectly. And with no pulley system or stepladder boom and no mess.

With the background out of the way, now on to OP's question:

I think some of it may have to do with the bizarre shroud of mystery surrounding AG brewing that it seems a lot of new brewers appear to harbor, which seems to be propagated by AG brewers for some reason. You see it in the "About to do my first AG batch" posts, as well as statements like, "I'm hoping to go AG someday, but for now, I'm resolved to brewing with extract" that are scattered all over this site. For some reason, a lot of new brewers are intimidated by the prospect of brewing AG, as if it's some kind of super-human feat. And it doesn't help when experienced brewers tell them to take baby steps by first doing a few extract brews to get their feet when, then graduate to steeping/PM, then after you've got all that mastered, go ahead and dive into the mysterious and complex world of AG. I kind of get it, but then again, I really don't. Like I said, AG is all I've ever known. My first batch was simple and easy and it only got easier from there.

So, with all of the above in mind, when one of these timid souls breaches the subject of possibly branching out into AG brewing, those of us who are enthusiastic about BIAB, knowing how stupid simple it is and realizing that we're dealing with potential delicate flowers, will enthusiastically lobby them to go BIAB so they too can share in AG nirvana without stressing over MLT's and fittings, and braid vs. manifold, etc. Let's not kid ourselves; anybody who is already doing AG knows how easy it is. For those contemplating AG for the first time, you can take two routes: 1) read a couple of books, watch some youtube vids, browse these forums for a while, then get after it; or 2) seek comfort, advice, handholding, and reassurance from other HBTers as to which path they should take to achieve AG. The former don't need our advice and will do whatever they think will work best for them. The latter, however, by the their very nature, need the simplest route possible. My personal opinion is that BIAB fits that bill perfectly, so when somebody comes asking, it's safe to assume we're dealing with a #2 personality and throwing a MLT project at them, while certainly doable, may not be the best fit, otherwise they probably would have already done it.

Sorry for the long post. Also, if I've offended anybody, I apologize. It certainly was not my intent.

Where are all the exclamation points?!!!!!!

GASoline71 said:
I've said it before... the day I buy a ladder to brew with, is the day I'm climbing on it to add hops in a 30bbl kettle. :)

I LOLed. Out loud even

But it's so shiny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

image-2792653215.jpg

I commend anyone who brews,... period.

As long as you brew, I like you!

My buddy is partial extract/bottle. I'm AG/Keg. We swap and compare. Of course I like my beer better, and he loves his beer, but we have different tastes as well.

I think I went for a traditional type setup because a pro brewer inspired me, well my buddy too. But the difference was that he wanted to brew as soon as he got the bug and bought a kit.

I built my brewery over a 9 month span with patience and much study. (Not saying my buddy didn't study too. But he does have an instant gratification thing going on.
)

I don't care how a guy brews, I just care that he brews, and I offer all the help I can when he/she has questions.

Depending on the person, I may recommend any of the types of brewing out there. Yes I'm partial to the way I do it, but so is everyone else as far as how they do it. They are the most comfortable with their way, not an untried way.

To me,... all ya gotta do to be cool, is brew. I don't care how or why, just brew!

And give me some.:tank::ban::rockin:

pb

What gets my goat even more than overzealous BIAGER'S is people who start threads with "Why is it.." :D

Hey! I represent that remark. And you are welcome. I did it just to annoy you. Success!

Plumber, I agree with you. I like to answer the question asked, rather than try to convince people to do things differently. Otherwise I answer the question asked then throw in a "you can also consider..." statement so it is their choice.

LLBean, well said.

I went from extract to partial grain and straight to all grain. I built a mash tun out of a coleman extreme cooler that I bought brand new for $30 with a SS braid style filter. All grain method is stupid simple and I have never had a stuck sparge, EVER. My brew days are 3-4 hours during which I drink, smoke weed, watch baseball, etc....cost and simplicity shouldn't be the deciding factors here. I guess it depends on if you want to hoist a grain bag or turn a valve haha.

This!!

I commend anyone who brews,... period.

As long as you brew, I like you!

My buddy is partial extract/bottle. I'm AG/Keg. We swap and compare. Of course I like my beer better, and he loves his beer, but we have different tastes as well.

I think I went for a traditional type setup because a pro brewer inspired me, well my buddy too. But the difference was that he wanted to brew as soon as he got the bug and bought a kit.

I built my brewery over a 9 month span with patience and much study. (Not saying my buddy didn't study too. But he does have an instant gratification thing going on.
)

I don't care how a guy brews, I just care that he brews, and I offer all the help I can when he/she has questions.

Depending on the person, I may recommend any of the types of brewing out there. Yes I'm partial to the way I do it, but so is everyone else as far as how they do it. They are the most comfortable with their way, not an untried way.

To me,... all ya gotta do to be cool, is brew. I don't care how or why, just brew!

And give me some.:tank::ban::rockin:

pb

Can I come over and visit? I promise I will help you brew, clean up after myself and not stay too long. Just a month or two...

Thanks guys.

I went from kits to BIAB in about 9 months, then from BIAB to the Sabco after about 6 months, and had it for about a year now.
I only just recently sold my BIAB setup, since I'd stored it in a chest freezer I've now started converting into a keezer.

I hear you, nothin like brewing on a sabco!

null_zpse64fb54f.jpg

here is my keezer! unfortunately I couldnt put 2 soda kegs in the bottom, i need to add another layer of wood so i can add my 2nd soda keg to the compressor shelf.

null_zpscfb95254.jpg

I brew to save money... :rolleyes:

When I first starting brewing and wanted to upgrade from my crappy Mr. Beer thingy I justified it to my missus by telling her how much money I'd save.

Just last week as I was moving around all the equipment in my storage unit, she looks me in the eyes and asks, "Soooooo how much we saved so far."

My answer, "It saves a lot in therapy."

Back