why is it so hard to duplicate all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Cat

Reaction score
Every time i make extract or partial it comes out identical ..so much so that you can't tell the difference ...but when i brew all grain my numbers are correct and i follow my notes to the T and when tasting a previous batch its not replicated ...could it be that all grain continues to condition stronger after bottling ...i mean much more than extract or partial ? And is this why some well known breweries use extracts ???? This is driving me nuts

Well...I know that the longer a beer is in bottle the taste changes with time...so maybe I'm tasting a six weeks conditioned brew against a four months bottled brew and this might be why i can taste the difference

Have you looked into your water? Extract comes with the minerals needed for the beer, while when doing all grain you are dependent on your water supply and your treatments if any. That could be a difference. Also when buying grains are you buying the same brand every time? Different brands are grown in different areas and have different ways they kiln.

I mean its all dependent on so many things. Hitting the same exact mash temp, mashout temp, ferm temp, time in fermenter, etc. That's impressive if you can get all of those factors exact every time. That's why the breweries around the globe are impressive. They can replicate the same environment and procedures over and over. Homebrewers have a hard time doing this to that level.

However I'm a believer in Occam's razor. There's likely something you're missing.

When you brew extract or partial, the bulk of the beer is from the base extract and unless you know exactly how that base malt was extracted (water, mash temp, mash length, boil length... and so on) it may be a bit of a challenge to get the exact flavor profile but not impossible. Maybe if you could give us some insight into what brand and type of base along with mash and recipe details.

Sounds like you don't have your process completely standardized. If you hit your temps and volumes correctly it should be just as easy to get consistent all grain results as it is with extract.

Are you getting your grain from the sane place everytime? Are you using the same ingredients? One brand of 2 row might have a slightly different flavor than another. Also specialty grains can be vastly different between manufacturers. I think briess uses 6 row for crystal and others use 2 row for crystal. Some are slightly different color and flavor.

I just got home and went looking for my notes and my receipts and I did buy my grains from different places and from different brands plus on the previous batch I used water from my home water conditioner and the last batch was from a PUR faucet water filter since the home conditioner was being replaced..

I surely will have to pay a little more attention to my notes. :eek:

Back