why igloo for mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosper123

Reaction score
See tons of people with Igloo as the brand for their mash tun. I am looking at a 50 quart Coleman for 30 bucks that looks appealing since it advertises the ability to supposed keep ice for five days in 90 degree weather...figure it'll be good for keeping heat in too.

Something about the Igloo build or the materials used that makes it come up so frequently? Don't want to make toxic brew...you know...more toxic than it should be :p

I think a lot of people go with the Igloo cooler for the ease of fly sparging. but, if you are doing batch sparging it should do just fine. the opening should be the same size for valves and such. I kicked around the idea of useing a different cooler other than a Igloo but, i went with one for the DIY section to get good ideas on how to do my projects from others.

Booboo's right-It doesn't really matter. It just depends on availablilty and price, nothing more. And more than likely the first person to adapt a cooler for a mashtun used an igloo, and wrote about it, and therefore folks think that it's the or only option, when had he found a coleman or bev air cooler cheap and used that, THAT would be the name you would have posted in your thread instead of igloo.

I don't even know my mash tun's brand, just that it is blue and was pretty cheap. And it's never given me any trouble in 4-5 years.

I've got a cheap Home Depot brand orange round cooler and it loses less than 1 degree during an hour-long mash. You can see it here http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/about.html

If you find a cooler doesn't hold the heat well, you can always cover it with a blanket, to add extra insulation. I do that with a big rectangular cooler that I use to hold my yogurt-making jars overnight. Works great.

Brand name doesn't matter.. blue coolers get better efficiency than the orange ones, unless it's a marine cooler, then white works best.

;-)

brewmcq said:
Brand name doesn't matter.. blue coolers get better efficiency than the orange ones, unless it's a marine cooler, then white works best.

;-)

I didn't realize efficiency was color dependent.

Back