Why has my efficiency been so bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint04

Reaction score
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/matching-ipa-water-profile-questions-377974/

When I brewed the IPA I mentioned in the link above, I missed my OG target pretty badly. The beer itself turned out excellent, but I was hoping it would be a bit bigger. I took another stab at this recipe a few weeks ago, and ended up missing target OG even more. The first time, my efficiency was like 65%, this last time it was below 60%.

My question is, what the hell am I doing wrong? At first, I thought my LHBS did a ****ty job crushing the grains, so I ordered from Northern Brewer for the second time. Apparently that wasn’t the case.

Is my water chemistry with this recipe affecting my efficiency? Shortly before this, I did an American Bitter with a much less “aggressive” water approach, and I actually overshot my target OG.

Not sure if anyone here can help, but I assume it can’t hurt.

Before anyone asks:

I use a 70qt Coleman Cooler with a S/S Braid. I typically mash in around 1.33 qt/lb for a 60 minute rest. Then, I vorlauf, drain the mash tun, add my sparge water, then let that rest for about 15 minutes.

I have been brewing All Grain for about two years, and have never seen efficiency problems like this before.

What is your mash/lauter efficiency, pre-boil gravity?

Two efficiencies need to be looked at to narrow it down, either mash/Lauter or brew house.

Crush plays a big part in the first as well as process. Meeting all your required volumes is important as well for both.

Water chemistry to some degree, especially pH during the mash will play a part as well

I too have had efficiency problems in the past due in a big part to the grain crush. I have noticed a much better efficiency since I started to crush my own grain using my barley crusher which is current set at the factory default of 0.39. I try to go with a water to grain ratio of 1.25 quarts per pound as suggested by Bobby_M in his article on batch sparging.
Out of curiosity, what does your crush look like? I too have purchased crushed grain from NB and it is never crushed as well as the barley crusher does it. There should be some flour in the crush.
As far a water chemistry, I just use the regular hard tap water that is provided through the municipal water system in my community.

Back