Why do you home brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love to cook, make bread and making beer naturally follows. I also like to get craft beer for cheap but with what I've invested in the hobby, my homebrew isn't cheap at all.

To me its a hobby where I get to scratch the itch of the tinkerer in me, drinker in me and thinker in me! Who wouldn't?

that's a perfect way to put it. I like tinkering with stuff. In homebrewing you may be building a keezer, wiring a temp controller, building a cabinet for your glasses or messing around with label designs in photoshop. There is always something to do and a broad variety of things as well.

I call BS ... B-K just wants cheap beer! :drunk:

Don't know why I'm busting your chops tonight B-K. This is the 2nd thread I've folllowed up one of your posts with smack talk :D

You must've drawn the short straw. Plus you seem like a jovial bloke who can take a bit of ribbing.... Unless I acccuse you of liking BMC :cross:

well, I can't deny that it's nice being able to brew up something at a fraction of the cost of buying the same thing in that quantity in a store.:mug:

Don't know why I'm busting your chops tonight B-K. This is the 2nd thread I've folllowed up one of your posts with smack talk :D

It may not happen today, or tomorrow, or the next day - but someday, perhaps years from now, when you've long since forgotten this post, you'll wake up to a skinny, bald, toothless, tatted-up stranger standing over you, grinning ear-to-ear, and then *POW!* - right in the berries.

Your day of reckoning is coming, and you won't even know until it's already too late. I almost feel sorry for you...

I love beer. I, probably like the most of us, am a beer connoisseur (read SNOB), as opposed to being the run-of-the-mill beer drinker. I like good tasting, non-GMO, non-pasteurized beer. I like to make the distinction of brewing beer to women and babies. Yes, child birth IS in fact a miracle. But let's face it. The effort and thought put forth to create a baby is minimal. So, I guess what I am saying is "beer is better than babies!" (kidding, obviously)

It may not happen today, or tomorrow, or the next day - but someday, perhaps years from now, when you've long since forgotten this post, you'll wake up to a skinny, bald, toothless, tatted-up stranger standing over you, grinning ear-to-ear, and then *POW!* - right in the berries.

Your day of reckoning is coming, and you won't even know until it's already too late. I almost feel sorry for you...

and I'm gonna say, "POW!" when I do it. bwahahaha!!

When I first started brewing in 97, it just seemed like something cool to do. It's grown into a great hobby and I find it to be a very relaxing zen like activity. Most of the time I brew alone and just enjoy my time with some music and a beer or 3.

I love good beer. I love that it can be made at home for less than it can be purchased for, and that the labor isn't that intensive (vs, say, landscaping). I love that I can gift it to my friends who also like good beer. I love that I can craft almost any color/flavor/aroma combination that I can dream up.

Did I mention I love beer?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's a time that I can loose myself in the process. Plus, at the end, I have something that I made that I can enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's like playing mad scientist, and when it's all done you get BEER! I'm a goof and a tinkerer, I love the intricate interactions throughout the process, from the biological action done by the malting houses, to the enzyme reactions that takes place in the mash (even though I still brew extracts), all the reactions taking place in the kettle, and the pure magic of fermentation.

I started first out of necessity (working in a country where alcohol was illegal). I also found aside from the great results, that the brew and bottle days were very therapeutic.

8 months and 30 batches later, I find it as a must do and important part of my life. I have enjoyed some of the challenges and the fact that I can make better beer than products available where I now live. Even most imported beers are skunked as they haven't been transported or temp controlled properly.

I am not a beer snob but after comparing the local stuff to mine, it is night and day. If the local beer is not ICE cold I won't touch it.

My friends enjoy my beer and now I am going to branch out into cider for the wife.

I started making beer because I realized that most store-bought beers are too bitter for me. We humans don't like bitter flavors. If anything, we like things a little sweet. So now it's all about the malt and yeast for me, and hops are secondary.

I started for the fun of it, I will continue for the same reason!

That it's cheaper is a bonus.

People laugh at the homebrewers who say they're in it to save money, since they must buy all that equipment first. But here in Norway where a 6-pack of the cheapest IPA I can find (grocery store here, which means 4.7% tops, but at least they're .5L cans) costs me $30, then I actually have probably paid myself back already with homebrewing. Hell a 6-pack of carlsberg costs about $20...

Because I suck at cooking and this is the closest thing to it that I don't suck at

For me, it's the process, the results and the ability to DIY. Most recently, I was able to brew with my dad, which allowed us to help fix a huge rift between us. Plus, some of the DIY projects have been published in BYO, which was an awesome experience.

I also like the DIY aspects of brewing. I seem to enjoy making some of the equipment as much as I like to brew. I like it when I give someone a brew that has never tried a homebrew and they say "hey this really good".

After 55+ years of working, with my nose on the proverbial grindstone, I retired.
Everything I own is paid for, my house, car, pickup & van. I owe no one & have a little money put back so now its MY time to enjoy doing what I wish, I have earned it & have no one to answer to.
I enjoy brewing beer, it is relaxing & fun & the final product is a plus. I have only been brewing a little less than 2 years but have turned out some pretty good product. Beer is good. :mug::tank:

Learned from a friend, enjoyed the process. Now I can't drink commercial beer. Building a keezer and getting into kegging. It is an addiction...

We started growing our own veg. then went on to bake our own bread.
Last autumn we started making our own sausage and my wife joked that now we only need to brew our own beer to be self-sufficient.

Not sure if she regrets that comment already....:D

Back