Why do you home brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsmith1625

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've only brewed 3 batches of beer so far, and I'm completely hooked. Whenever I get the chance, I'm on HomeBrewTalk checking out threads and trying to learn as much as I can about my new craft. I'm also checking my fermentation chamber multiple times a day because I impulsively need to see my beer. I'm still amazed that I can take simple raw ingredients and make awesome beer in my own home.

I know why I love to brew, but I want to know why you home brew?

:mug:

I brew because I know what I enjoy. I'm drawn by the ability to change and adjust flavours to my specifications. It's the same with cooking for me; being able to make changes (subtle to extreme) to see what comes out and to fine tune to something I like. :mug::tank:

I brew because its a fun way to kill a day and my daughter helps me brew.

I also give much of mine away to friends and co-workers and enjoy the fact that they enjoy drinking it as much as I enjoy brewing it.

Mostly because it's fun. I'm a pretty serious cook too so I like creative hobbies that lead to consuming delicious things. Also because the kind of beer I like is $12 for a 4 pack and you never know if it's going to be good or if it was mishandled on its way here from Belgium or mishandled by the store in some way.

I enjoy the process and think its satisfying to make a great beer. Sometimes I like all the intricacies more than drinking the beer itself! There are so many different techniques, malts, yeasts, styles, etc etc etc, that it never really gets old. Every brew is a new experiment.

Having an endless supply of beer is also a plus...

After a few years and the fact that I have most of the equipment I can now brew beer for less than it costs to buy it.

I also make my own recipes so creating a beer that is my "own" is a lot of fun.

I am trying to figure out how to make a steak flavored beer.

Because beer.

And because my friend started first and got me into it. Broke off and started to make my own to see if I could make better.

After starting with Mr Beer then on to 5 gallon extracts and now dabbling in all grain I am finding that I like my beer better than anything I buy in a store.

I enjoy the creation almost as much as the consumption.:)

Like BBohanon, I enjoy brewing with my daughters too. My 11 year old filled bottles for my batch of Karma Citra Session IPA. The next day, my 8 year old daughter hung out with me in the garage while I started my batch of Vanilla Cream Ale. She wanted to help, but it was too hot for her. Instead she used sidewalk chalk and drew on the garage floor. We had a great day!

:)

Like BBohanon, I enjoy brewing with my daughters too. My 11 year old filled bottles for my batch of Karma Citra Session IPA. The next day, my 8 year old daughter hung out with me in the garage while I started my batch of Vanilla Cream Ale. She wanted to help, but it was too hot for her. Instead she used sidewalk chalk and drew on the garage floor. We had a great day!

This is great. Sometimes my buddies hang around when I brew, maybe they would benefit from some chalk, too.

Absorb these days/moments..... not too distant future they will be off and running in busy lives of their own..... no matter how much time I spent with mine, I still regret not spending more......

I brew for the love of the creation, the time spent making mine.....well, mine.....
I spend more time than I ought on here, but I have learned a TON!!

Brewing is the perfect combination of cooking, biology and chemistry. And you can get as deep into trying to understand the process as you want, or just make a batch of beer to keep you happy.
Plus, there's the variety. What I crave to drink tonight may be completely different from what I wanted yesterday. My inventory of bottled goodness means pretty much whatever I have a urge for, I have in stock. It would take big bucks to maintain an inventory of commercial beers- even if I could find them.

I find it really fun. I like the creativity it sparks. I have found, after a couple years of making beer, I have a lot more of a creative mind. I attribute that to coming up with weird/different/fun things to try in beer recipes over and over again, really working the creative side of my mind.

It has also given me a new found respect for doing things yourself. I have always worked on my own cars and house, but this has really taken it to another level. It has actually transcended to those other aspects as well.

Cheap, delicious beer in bulk is always a plus too :)

The ability to create what I like. And where I live there is no variety of craft brews so its easier to make it my self. Im only new to the hobby but learning new process is fun as Im a chef I love creation from scratch. This is why I went strait to all grain!

Drink more coffee and do stupid things faster

To save money, I enjoy my own creations more than what I can buy from the store, and there is always something new to learn or technique to try. It is almost endless. Though my excitement is slowing down.

Because the best beer is the one I pour my soul into. And my friends seem to agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I love the process. It started off as a hobby to kill a day and I knew I could do it alone. It's since turned into a love of the process and the end product is nice to have. I share more so I can brew more.

I wanted a cheaper hobby than muscle cars, tuners, etc in my retirement years. Besides brewing rare or extinct styles. Home brewing has broadened my horizons of what good beer is too boot. Cheaper & better is always a bonus. I even began writing a book about my journey through this happy madness.:mug:

I brew because first, I love beer. I travel around the country for my job and am always seeking out something new. Second, I love brewers. When I go to a brewpub, people are usually super cool, super friendly, and love to share- I have been blessed meeting some super great folks. Third, I love the process and the mental exercise. Fourth, I love the creation itself. It is lots of work, but at the end of it, you have beer! I am a Sales Manager for a living, leading teams of people to success- the result is not very tangible or immediate. Brewing fills that gap for me. Beer completes me, :tank:

I brew because... I love to create! Because I love to mix match styles..because its a middle finger to commercial brewers that cut corners...because I can immortilize my loved ones by naming a home brew after them!

I love the endless flavor, color, and aroma possibilities.
"It's my art, my craft. I love being able to use an ever shifting canvas to reflect, in a multidimensional media, all the stability, chaos, love, anger, joy, abstract imagination through sight, aroma, and taste. to me, it's liquid marble. a painting that's always changing a little at a time. an endless song that just knows exactly what you want to hear.

The weird part is that I find it easier to write fiction than nonfiction. I had a harder time writing some 250 pages for my home brewing book than the 437 some pages of book one of my Time Lords 2034 series. Ever since I completed the HB book, I'm now having trouble getting going again on book 2 of the TL series. Sheeze...

Good imported beer is cost prohibitive (about 30 dollars a six pack) in Korea so I make my own. I also fall under the 'like to tinker' umbrella. Once you start putting down a pipeline and kegging, there's damn near something to do daily involving beer. Some find it annoying, but I love the constant mini-tasks that can be completed for satisfaction's sake. It keeps me moving forward.

To me its a hobby where I get to scratch the itch of the tinkerer in me, drinker in me and thinker in me! Who wouldn't?

I agree. Brew day is the most relaxing day of my week. Proper preparation makes the day stress free. Even when I mess up, it's still beer.... can't say that about all of my other DIY hobbies.

for the taste of something brewed different "non commercial",and as a pastime.and i can brew when i feel like it.not tied to a fixed time/place,especially working shft work.like most other pastimes.also the friendship of fellows brewers in my area.

I love the endless flavor, color, and aroma possibilities.
"It's my art, my craft. I love being able to use an ever shifting canvas to reflect, in a multidimensional media, all the stability, chaos, love, anger, joy, abstract imagination through sight, aroma, and taste. to me, it's liquid marble. a painting that's always changing a little at a time. an endless song that just knows exactly what you want to hear.

I call BS ... B-K just wants cheap beer! :drunk:

Don't know why I'm busting your chops tonight B-K. This is the 2nd thread I've folllowed up one of your posts with smack talk :D

You must've drawn the short straw. Plus you seem like a jovial bloke who can take a bit of ribbing.... Unless I acccuse you of liking BMC :cross:

It's pretty simple for me, Chef by day, beer drinker by night... The love of food science and art come together at your control in the craft of all grain brewing... I'm paid to create good food to have with a beer, then go home to drink beer I've made to enjoy with food.. I love every aspect of homebrewing. I'd brew everyday if it didn't end in a possible divorce...

Because I couldn't find a "Town Drunk" forum that was as cool as this place and I figured being a Home Brewer was a requirement for joining HBT!:D

I got tired of the dozens of great quality large and small brewery made lagers they have here in German stores and want to drink, lousy, poorly made home brew ales instead.

Back