Why do I have one problem tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neptune

Reaction score
I've got a keezer setup with three taps. I'm running about 13-14 psi (one regulator) and the temp is in the middle 30s F.

Two of the three taps seem to be perfectly carbed (except the occasional first pour foam if it's been a while) and pour nicely... But the third one is a real problem child. It's a fairly new setup (I've run maybe 5 kegs through this tap) and it seems that I can't keep it from foaming up on almost every pour. If I immediately pull a second pint, I don't have a problem but waiting even 5 minutes causes it to happen again. It was particularly bad on my last keg, so I thought it might be the inside dip tube o-ring (which I just changed after it kicked). But now this (different) keg is having the same problem(!)

I'm using the same 3/16 ID x 7/16 OD clear bevlex tubing on all three setups with oetiker clamps... There doesn't seem to be any damage on the problem tube. Maybe the dip tube o-ring on this keg is also bad but it seems unlikely.

Any ideas?

First thought is line length difference, but i assume you've thought of that. Another consideration is the QD to the keg. There may be some gunk in it that is causing CO2 to come out of solution or the little plastic springamajig may be sticking or not depressing the keg poppet fully and not allowing for proper flow.

Neptune,

I'd try changing things around to see if you can isolate the problem - swap which keg is hooked up to which faucet; swap the lines that connect the keg to the faucet; swap which disconnect is attached to the lines. Seems like if you went through such a process you could narrow down the possible cause(s).

Good luck!

First thought is line length difference, but i assume you've thought of that.

No, I hadn't thought of that. I think the lengths are similar, but now I'm curious. What effect would that have?

I'd try changing things around to see if you can isolate the problem - swap which keg is hooked up to which faucet; swap the lines that connect the keg to the faucet

Should have thought of that one... Good idea, thanks!

If the line to the third tap is shorter than the resistance in the line is less, so when it gets to the end of the line less CO2 would be kept in solution and it would foam out of the tap.

I agree that it's likely a line length issue, or if there's a burr or a hop seed or something stuck in your tap it could be creating a baffle that's causing foam. You could try cleaning your tap handle and backflushing it with water.

I might have an issue with cold air because if I go a day or two without pulling a pint (who does that?) I do get some foam in the first glass... But this particular problem would be in addition to that one since it's only happening to one of the taps. If it is a line length problem, then the problem should move if I swap the lines.

Good idea, I'll move the problem child to my wife's brown ale and off of my IPA and see if that works. :D

Thanks for the ideas!

I might have an issue with cold air because if I go a day or two without pulling a pint (who does that?) I do get some foam in the first glass... But this particular problem would be in addition to that one since it's only happening to one of the taps. If it is a line length problem, then the problem should move if I swap the lines.

Good idea, I'll move the problem child to my wife's brown ale and off of my IPA and see if that works. :D

Thanks for the ideas!
Should be easy enough to just compare the line lengths visually. They don't have to be exactly the same, and if one is enough shorter to be an issue, it should be obvious.

The problem will also move if the QD has blockage/debris, or if the tap is the issue. QD's are easy to disassemble and clean. Just unscrew the cap using the slot on the top. There are small pieces inside, so be sure to note where they go, and don't lose them.

Brew on :mug:

Back