Why did my wine kit come with two yeast packs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixalated

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at making wine. Subject pretty much says it all. My malbec-shiraz kit had two yeast packets in it. I pitched one tonight, but wondering if I should've pitched them both.

Thanks!

Yup. Remember, the kits are assembled by folks on a line. If they grab two yeasts or two sorbate packs, it's too late, and not cost effective to stop the assembly line for a few pennies worth of product.

Bonus for you! Keep it in the fridge as an 'emergency pack'.

If you don't see adequate fermentation then pitch the second yeast pack. Or just pitch it to get rid of it.

What kind of kit was it?

I recently had an Ice Wine kit come with three packets of yeast. I assumed that since it was such a high gravity must, then they wanted me to have a higher cell count at pitching without having to ask their customers to build a starter. (And at .50 - $1 a packet, why not just pitch 2 or 3 packets instead of getting a stir plate, flask, and starter must?)

Look on the instruction sheet there is a list of the included items. Does it say 2 yeast?

The kits I have done that had 2 yeast packs said in the directions "If there are 2 yeast packs add both" So if the directions did not say that just add the one. Put the extra in the fridge and you can use it later. The expiration date is generally a long ways out.

Latest posts

Back