Why Did My Beer Clear After Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vindee

Reaction score
I did an Amber Ale 3 weeks ago that was supposed to be cloudy. After three weeks in the bottle everything dropped out to the bottom of the bottle and has not carbed up very much. I used a tsp. of irish moss at 10 min left on the boil but can't think of any reason for this to have happened.

Bottles have been stored at 70° this whole time. I am used to a cloudy carbonated ale. Any ideas?

Thanks.

This happens with anything in a bottle or keg over time. If you really wanted permanent haze, you shoudlve added some flour to the boil and skipped the irish moss

Flour to the boil? I would have to say that skipping the irish moss would be your best bet. Maybe add a little wheat malt?

Stick it in the fridge overnight and check if it's still not cloudy.

I'd be more concerned as to why it's not carbed, yet. Perhaps you didn't add enough priming sugar?

Just for my own curiosity, why did you expect/want it to be cloudy? Is this a wheat beer? As above, if you want cloudy beer don't use finings like Irish moss. I've certainly seen the flour in the boil trick, but usually for something like a wit.

I would also suspect being a little light on the corn sugar. That is probably what happened.
This is a Mac and Jacks clone that has always come out a little cloudy for me. Just like you get it ordering it out somewhere. This just looked a little unusual to me as I have never had everything settle out and sit in the bottom of the bottle like this one.

Want it cloudy? Just shake it up!

As for the lack of carbonation, have you checked a few bottles to make sure the caps were on correctly or that the priming sugar was fully mixed in when you bottled? Otherwise, rouse the yeast and let them sit another 7-10 days.

You've never had the yeast flocculate out and settle at the bottom of your bottles?

I think that's what I would be questioning!

But I mean, yeah, if you want cloudy just roll the bottle on the table a bit before pouring it in your glass (true german way of drinking a hefeweizen).

You've never had the yeast flocculate out and settle at the bottom of your bottles?

I think that's what I would be questioning!

But I mean, yeah, if you want cloudy just roll the bottle on the table a bit before pouring it in your glass (true german way of drinking a hefeweizen).

I always have the yeast flocculate out. Just not 100% of it with this beer.
Not a big deal. Since this is the first time, I'm not going to worry too much about it. I'll just mix the yeast back into suspension before pouring.
Thanks for the comments!

I always have the yeast flocculate out. Just not 100% of it with this beer.
Not a big deal. Since this is the first time, I'm not going to worry too much about it. I'll just mix the yeast back into suspension before pouring.
Thanks for the comments!

oh ok! i thought you were always pouring cloudy beer, with every style.

What yeast did you use? Is it harvested or new?

Weird question, but why do you want a cloudy amber ale? The awesome thing about WLP005 is that it's a British strain, and leaves beautifully clear beer behind.

I work hard to make my beers perfectly clear, so I'm just puzzled as to why someone would want murky beer on purpose, that's all.

Weird question, but why do you want a cloudy amber ale? The awesome thing about WLP005 is that it's a British strain, and leaves beautifully clear beer behind.

I work hard to make my beers perfectly clear, so I'm just puzzled as to why someone would want murky beer on purpose, that's all.

He kind of explains it here.

This is a Mac and Jacks clone that has always come out a little cloudy for me. Just like you get it ordering it out somewhere. This just looked a little unusual to me as I have never had everything settle out and sit in the bottom of the bottle like this one.

Ah. But the mac n' jacks beer doesn't have a yeast haze or flavor- it's a bit of a hops haze.

Yeast in suspension has a flavor impact that can be quite unpleasant.

I dry hopped this beer for two weeks on freshly picked cascade hops from the backyard. So now that you have mentioned that, I'm even more perplexed as to why I didn't get the haze (or cloudiness).
You may have hit on something with the yeast strain. Looking back on my records, I substituted WLP005 for the SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) from the original recipe.

I dry hopped this beer for two weeks on freshly picked cascade hops from the back yard. So now that you have mentioned that, I'm even more perplexed as to why I didn't get the haze (or cloudiness).

Even my hoppiest beers don't always have a hops haze. Generally the ones that do have the most hops in the boil.

Here's one of my typical IPAs:

0511132020.jpg

It's got quite a bit of hops in it, plus dryhops, but it's still beautifully clear.
Now I know that a beer with a hops haze can taste just as good, but I really LOVE having a clear beer. I feel like people eat (and drink) with their eyes.

Just like when I go out for dinner. The chef could just glop the food on my plate, and it would taste fine. But if the plate looks beautiful, the food seems even better!

It's your beer, and I hope I"m not coming across at critical- not at all! I was just wondering why a cloudy beer was a preference when so many people struggle to make a clear beer. I've even written articles on making a clear homebrewed beer, so I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from.

What is your recipe? I actually have a Mac n jacks I put together in the primary now. Just dry hopped and it has the Mac n jack haze.

Mine had the haze the whole three weeks in the carboy. It was only after bottling did it clear.
I like clear beers too as well as my red wine being crystal clear. I guess I was just trying to get as close to the real Mac & Jacks as possible with looks and taste. I also like a cloudy Widmer Hefeweizen.

Yooper, by the way, I'm going to be bottling your Oatmeal Stout this weekend.
Excited for this one. Perfect timing as the season is changing here.

What is your recipe? I actually have a Mac n jacks I put together in the primary now. Just dry hopped and it has the Mac n jack haze.

8 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 76.4 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.2 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.0 %
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.2 %
2.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.1 %
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale #S-04
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 7 31.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min
1.00 oz (or 5 oz fresh) Cascade Dry Hop 14 days

Very nice. Yeah it's pretty similar to mine. They use wheat in their Amber. I started with the BYO recipe. It was close but not on. I got a good heads up from someone in the know and brewed that recipe up this go around. It tasted pretty doggone on when I took my hydro to see what the FG was!

Here's mine.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.02 gal
Boil Size: 7.37 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.09 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.05 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Date: 25 Oct 2015
Brewer: TH
Asst Brewer: A Lizzy
Equipment: Electric Urn (10 Gal/40 L) - BIAB
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 84.0 %
Taste Rating: 30.0

Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 78.3 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.7 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.7 %
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %
0.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 25.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 6.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 1.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 33.3 IBUs
Est Color: 14.9 SRM

Measured Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.0 %
Calories: 210.2 kcal/12oz

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body
Sparge Water: 3.72 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE

Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 8.0 oz
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps

Name

Description

Step Temperature

Step Time

Mash In Add 14.38 qt of water at 168.2 F 156.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Add 5.75 qt of water at 202.4 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 3.72 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle
Pressure/Weight: 3.96 oz
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Carbonation Used: Bottle with 3.96 oz Corn Sugar
Age for: 30.00 days
Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

Notes
Grainfather calculations for water - 4.65 mash water (added 4 gallons 2.5 quarts)
3.85 sparge water ( added 3 gallons and 1 quarts )
Total boil is 6.75 gallons

Mash at 155 for 60 minutes.
Mash out at 167 for 10 minutes
Pull grains and let drain. Set for boil while draining.
And Sparge.

pre boil 1.051 at 70*
Post was 1.063!
Dry hopped on day 8 of fermentation. FG 1.020 when dry hopped. Used 1 ounce cascades.

Back