Why CO2 tank and regulators inside kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Improv241

Reaction score
I've seen the CO2 placed inside and outside the kegerator, but I normally see the regulators inside. Is there any reason why?

I'm looking to potentially place my regulators on the outside for easy access (it will be hidden from view) unless someone has a reason to why it should be inside.

Thanks!

I keep the tank and regulator outside the fridge. Makes it far easier to look at and see what's going on. Plus its easier to adjust and doesn't require you to open the fridge and let all that cold air out. It also gives you more room for BEER/kegs in there. :D

I keep the tank and regulator outside the fridge. Makes it far easier to look at and see what's going on. Plus its easier to adjust and doesn't require you to open the fridge and let all that cold air out. It also gives you more room for BEER/kegs in there. :D

I agree… I have a kegerator (no keezer) so wondered this myself. From what I’ve found, putting it in the cool air lowers the pressure so I don’t get it… except for a clean look.

Golddiggie said:

+1 yup. This ^^^^^ other than aesthetics no real difference

It doesn't make a difference, just personal preference. If you like having it outside the fridge, rock on. Mine is inside because it fits, doesn't displace a keg, and I wanted the cleaner look.

Mine was inside for a long time, because I didn't need the room in the kegerator, plus I didn't want to drill a hole in the side of the fridge. But I got a bigger tank, so now it's outside (and I drilled through the bottom of the door, since I didn't want to risk hitting a cooling line and ruining the fridge).

It doesn't matter either way.

Mine is inside the kegerator because it's in a garage which is not completely climate controlled. It can get up to 105 degrees F in the summer, and I've actually had a safety disc blow out on my tank at that temp... so it stays in the fridge so I don't have that happen again! My advice would be to keep in in the fridge if you have a chance at 85 degree+ temps, just to be on the safe side.

So I'm probably in the minority here but what I have found to work nicely is actually only putting CO2 on the beer in intervals and simply stowing the tank somewhere out of sight (out of mind) until it's time to recharge the keg. Since I don't usually make styles that require high amounts of carbonation, I've found that having the CO2 always connected really isn't necessary unless a lot of the beer is being consumed in a short amount of time. I'm still playing around with this to find the perfect intervals, but so far it makes for a cleaner (less industrial) look.

Yeah you're definitely in the minority. Most of us switch to kegging for the convenience and the fact that carbonation can be easier/faster to control. If you're sacrificing both of those things, I don't see the advantage. If the CO2 is hidden in or behind the kegerator, there's no industrial look.

Yeah you're definitely in the minority. Most of us switch to kegging for the convenience and the fact that carbonation can be easier/faster to control. If you're sacrificing both of those things, I don't see the advantage. If the CO2 is hidden in or behind the kegerator, there's no industrial look.

I still force carb. I just add additional CO2 once or twice a day (or as needed) until it reaches equilibrium. It takes the same amount of time as it would if you left the CO2 on constantly. The beer can only absorb so much at any given time. And it's not much work to move the tank 4' to add CO2 to the beer. After it's reached the desired equilibrium, it's just a matter of adding enough CO2 to replace what's been used as you dispense. I can pull 5 or 6 perfect pints before I need to add more. I've also found that I actually save CO2 by doing it this way. If there's a leak, I'll know it right away. To each his own though.

You only save CO2 if you have a leak, and not keeping the gas connected is a way to avoid that problem, not solve it. Moving the tank 4', connecting a disconnect or re-attaching the regulator, opening the fridge so you can connect everything and losing the cold air, that sounds like a bunch of work to me. Especially if you have people over and you'd need to do that every couple minutes across multiple kegs. I agree, to each his own, but I fail to see any logic in your methods. I could maybe understand if you were just doing this while carbing (and didn't have enough gas lines/ports, or one keg was carbing at room temp, etc.) but certainly not serving.

You only save CO2 if you have a leak, and not keeping the gas connected is a way to avoid that problem, not solve it. Moving the tank 4', connecting a disconnect or re-attaching the regulator, opening the fridge so you can connect everything and losing the cold air, that sounds like a bunch of work to me. Especially if you have people over and you'd need to do that every couple minutes across multiple kegs. I agree, to each his own, but I fail to see any logic in your methods. I could maybe understand if you were just doing this while carbing (and didn't have enough gas lines/ports, or one keg was carbing at room temp, etc.) but certainly not serving.

Serving is a different issue if I have company. It stays connected at parties and gatherings.

Back