Why are they playing all of OUR songs?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen the commercial. Songs about sex probably shouldn't be used in kid focused commercials. The worst I say was the tune to Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On used in a buy this for your kid's school lunch commercial.

With that said, I'm not sure how much street cred Salt & Pepa ever had. They were dance club hip hop.

The one that always floored me was Iggy Pop's Lust For Life used by Carnival Cruises. But who knows, maybe Johnny Yen is selling liquor and drugs on them.

Target Market Demographics. Those who were in highschool when that music was new & popular are now parents & will be buying back to school stuff for their kids now. Stores want their biz, so they appeal to their nostalgia using music they'll instantly recognize; it helps grab their attention. Once the hooks are in, the message is delivered. It's a lot like a hypodermic: you have to jab the needle in before you push the plunger.They do it because it works.
Regards, GF.

Yup. Like music from our day in movies as well as TV. Like Black Sabbath's Iron man in those movies. Strawberry Alarmclock's Incence & Peppermints in the Austin powers movies. I heard a song recently by Paul Revere & the Raiders on a commercial as well. I used to watch them on "Where The Action Is" on I think it was channel 5 here.

Also probably because most of the modern music that is popular does not have very commercial-safe lyrics. Can you imagine a target commercial with Jay-Z or Snoop whatever animal he is now playing in the background about smacking B_____s and smoking weed?

Years ago, it was either BMW or Mercedes that used The Clash's "London Calling".
I was devastated. It was very shortly after Joe Strummer's death IIRC.

Has anyone noticed how all the back-to-school ads are using songs from the late 80's and early 90's???

I just heard a recorder (flute) version of "Push it!" by Salt'n'Peppa, and that's just ONE of them...

Gawd this sucks. Loses its street cred.

MC

Why are you claiming Salt'n'Peppa in the first place?

Iron Man, Megamind, Avengers (sorta by Iron man) it is rampant but in some cases AWESOME.

Megamind is effing fantastic, and partly due to the soundtrack. It is not just slapped in there for a demopgraphic, that movie uses it better than Iron Man ever dreamed of.

what the commercial that has the misfits "where eagles dare"? I've seen it a few times in the past few days.

Also probably because most of the modern music that is popular does not have very commercial-safe lyrics. Can you imagine a target commercial with Jay-Z or Snoop whatever animal he is now playing in the background about smacking B_____s and smoking weed?

Scotts CrabGrass Preventer ... "It's a 1. 8. 7. on a Muther Fvcking crop!"

or Jenny Craigs new product line of organic "Jen and juice", "Rollin down the street, smokin calo's, sippin on 'Jen and juice'.
Laid back (with my mind on my tummy and my tummy on my mind)"

or Jenny Craigs new product line of organic "Jen and juice", "Rollin down the street, smokin calo's, sippin on 'Jen and juice'.

You're a regular Charlie Harper.

Iron Man, Megamind, Avengers (sorta by Iron man) it is rampant but in some cases AWESOME.

Megamind is effing fantastic, and partly due to the soundtrack. It is not just slapped in there for a demopgraphic, that movie uses it better than Iron Man ever dreamed of.

I liked Megamind better altogether.

Are you joking?

Dammit Snoop.

atom said:
what the commercial that has the misfits "where eagles dare"? I've seen it a few times in the past few days.

I believe it was Mazda. It was the one with Travis pastrana I think. I know the commercial you are talking about. What about iggy pop in that Chrysler commercial for no reason. That blew my mind.

What about iggy pop in that Chrysler commercial for no reason. That blew my mind.
I saw that one like 3 times before I would accept that it was really him! First time I was drunk, and wrote it off as my mind playing tricks on me, second time I was like AHHAAAAA! I REALLY SAW THAT but no, it couldn't be. Third time I was just......flabbergasted, yes, that's what I was, flabbergasted.

littletommy said:
I saw that one like 3 times before I would accept that it was really him! First time I was drunk, and wrote it off as my mind playing tricks on me, second time I was like AHHAAAAA! I REALLY SAW THAT but no, it couldn't be. Third time I was just......flabbergasted, yes, that's what I was, flabbergasted.

Dude I even googled it to see wtf was up. I never found a good reason as to why he was in the commercial.

GilaMinumBeer said:
He needed a check and they needed a celeb? Jesus Chrysler is it really that hard? :D

A celeb? Hardly plus it was a designer addition so they already had someone attached to the vehicle that was celeb worthy.

A celeb? Hardly plus it was a designer addition so they already had someone attached to the vehicle that was celeb worthy.

You miss the point again.

The "Music" is NOT today's hit. Why? They are appealing to you and me, not a 23 year old.

Same with the "Celebrity".

Perhaps the demographic who even knows who he is is their target. Maybe their marketing guy is smoking crack.

Sailor Jerry's rum...not nearly as bad as it could be. I think it's OK when the guy on the label is more punk rock than the guy singing!

atom said:

I almost shat myself when I saw this for the first time. Was confused to hear my favorite Misfits song used for selling anything other than tickets to one of their shows...

GilaMinumBeer said:
Nor were Sid Vicious or Johnny Rotten but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone of that generation that is not familiar with the name.

I bet you won't see Johnny rotten trying to sell toyotas either.

Back