Who's the guy with the...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zixxer10R

Reaction score
PVC volume measurement stick? I've been looking for 30 minutes and i can't find the guy.

I'm in need of a good way to measure my pre-boil volume and i thought i'd pick his brain some. I don't want to hack into my BK so his idea was perfect for me. Anyone know who i'm talking about?

Your brew pot, cpvc, 1 gallon additions at a time, mark the one gallon marks and be done?

+1

Your brew pot, cpvc, 1 gallon additions at a time, mark the one gallon marks and be done?

Exactly what I did, in fact, I used a dremel and marked the outside of the pot in 1 gallon increments. Now I can take my spoon, hold it to the edge on the inside, touching the top of the liquid, then move the spoon to the outside and determine my volume.

I use a yardstick/meter stick. It already has measurements on it. I just calculated the number of inches per gallon for my BK and marked them off on the back of the stick.

Much easier than CPVC in my opinion.

I use a yardstick/meter stick. It already has measurements on it. I just calculated the number of inches per gallon for my BK and marked them off on the back of the stick.

Much easier than CPVC in my opinion.
Exactly what I did: an aluminum yardstick. I calculated the number of inches per gallon and then validated that by adding water to the BK one gallon at a time. I marked the lines off with a laundry marker.

I use a tape measure. My pot is almost a perfect cylinder and it is 15 inches tall and 10 gallons, so I can just measure how many inches from the top of the pot to the wort to determine how many gallons I have.

I use a copper tube with stainless steel hose clamps

Why not mark your mash paddle? It will temp sterilize prior to use before going into your mash. Markings on the other side can be for volume in your mash tun

Why not mark your mash paddle? It will temp sterilize prior to use before going into your mash. Markings on the other side can be for volume in your mash tun

I would if i had a mash paddle, but currently i use a commercial serving spoon to dough in.

Doesn't that get rather, um, warm?

lol I don't leave it in there. Just like I'm hoping the PVC people don't leave theirs in either. Just more of a dipstick to check progress every so often.

I use CVPC and mark the gallons off by scoring lightly with a mini tube cutter. Half-gallons get a dot from a Sharpie.

I'd be one Bobby. I actually contemplated that very purchase but i don't want to put a hole in my brand new 10 gallon pot just yet. :)

Sightglasses FTW.

The only think I dont like about mine is the fact that its an extra thing to clean (I usually dont do it in between brews), and it spews boiling wort sometimes. Any good tips for these two issues Bobby or anyone else?

I'd be one Bobby. I actually contemplated that very purchase but i don't want to put a hole in my brand new 10 gallon pot just yet. :)

Just do it. Your only delaying the inevitable.:) They are a great investment, I got two from Bobby a few months ago. Get the combo with the thermometer, works great.:mug:

Back