Whoel Grain Storage Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchLiebeBier

Reaction score
Hi all,
For the last couple of years, I've been doing recipe experiments by brewing 1 gallon batches (in addition to regular brewing). As a result, I've got a LOT of unmilled specialty grains I hate to throw out, but they are right at 2 years old. However, they've always been stored vacuum sealed in mason jars in a cool area of my basement.

I'm getting ready to make an order for 4 x 5-gallon batches and am wondering if I would be ok using the grains.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Properly stored, crushed grains can last for a year or more. Cooler and dry, less than 50% humidity. Use a sealable container like a 5 gal pail with a gamma lid or one of those gasketed bins used for pet food. Anything to keep out the wildlife. I have made great beers with grains pushing 2 years.

It sounds like you've stored them under better conditions than most. I've certainly used grains that were 2 yr old, stored just in airtight containers but not vacuum sealed. I'm in the habit of tasting older grains before using them, if they taste really stale I throw them out. If you get going on it I think you'd be fine using that stuff up.

Thanks all.

I'll taste them before I use them. If they taste off, I'll run up to the LHBS and replace them.

Back