Who picked up BCBS today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up 2 bottles on Black Friday. I over paid. Both went in my wine cooler since they were already chilled. Plan to drink one very soon and try to save the other for next year.

Yes -barrel & bottle aging are different but my point was maybe the stuff might be worth the price if they invested their time not mine jmho.

Yes -barrel & bottle aging are different but my point was maybe the stuff might be worth the price if they invested their time not mine jmho.

Price would be higher. Local bar did a big BCBS tapping on black friday. They had last year and this year of Regular BCBS on tap, plus a couple variants from this year. Bottles of several variants (including Prop and Rare) for the past few years and regular BCBS in bottles going back to 2010. The prices went up on the regular BCBS as they got older. A bottle of 2010 was $18, IIRC, which, IMHO, isn't bad for a bottle they stored for five years served in a bar.

Just added to my stash. Guy at probably my favorite local store held on to a few more bottles for me. (I'll also add that he and the grocery store were the only ones that did not mark up the prices.) Brings my total take up to:

1.5 case of regular
3 bottles barleywine
2 bottles coffee
1 bottle regal rye
1 bottle rare

That's more than enough regular BCBS for me, and i doubt that I'll see any more variants anywhere, so I think I'm done. Well, unless I can find a reasonable trade for Proprietor's...

I stumbled on the Regular (1 per person) at a local shop last night, and have relatives scouring their areas now. I'm a little late to the party, as usual.

I think this beer is at its best at 3 years old. I have had some up to 5 years, but they are starting to fall off around then.

Also, part of what makes BCBS different is that it is not barrel aged in a temperature controlled room. It is aged for almost a year in chicago seasonal temps which is what makes it slightly different. Our temps are all over the place...Super cold in the winter and super hot and humid in the summer. As the seasons change, the beer moves in and out of the wood pulling different flavors. Go on GI website and watch the grit and grain series about BCBS...It is really cool and gives a lot of info on the process of making the beer.

I don't understand why we I can't get this in Minneapolis :( I can get all sorts of other Goose Island beer, why not this one? :mad:

I don't understand why we I can't get this in Minneapolis :( I can get all sorts of other Goose Island beer, why not this one? :mad:

Many areas don't allow the sale of this because of the high ABV...I don't know anything about your area, but maybe that is it. I know that GI sent this to just about everywhere they had distro, so maybe there is a reason it is not around you. The distributor also determines who gets it, and around here they usually base the stores allotment based on their entire year of GI sales.

Many areas don't allow the sale of this because of the high ABV...I don't know anything about your area, but maybe that is it. I know that GI sent this to just about everywhere they had distro, so maybe there is a reason it is not around you. The distributor also determines who gets it, and around here they usually base the stores allotment based on their entire year of GI sales.

Definitely not the ABV. I can get Avery's Tweak which is 17%. It could be sales I suppose, there's a lot of competition in the beer market here especially with Surly, Fulton's and other great local breweries. Doesn't mean I have to like it :mad:

Definitely not the ABV. I can get Avery's Tweak which is 17%. It could be sales I suppose, there's a lot of competition in the beer market here especially with Surly, Fulton's and other great local breweries. Doesn't mean I have to like it :mad:

My thoughts are with you during this terrible time. I think your only option is to trade for it. I know a lot of guys around Chicago want 2014 Darkness, so you can probably work out a trade if you have a supply of that, or any other high profile beers from your area.

My thoughts are with you during this terrible time. I think your only option is to trade for it. I know a lot of guys around Chicago want 2014 Darkness, so you can probably work out a trade if you have a supply of that, or any other high profile beers from your area.

I actually had a guy send me a bottle of the 2014 regular and barleywine with a couple local beers tagging along. I was only really looking for the BCBS regular (won't ignore a barleywine though!) and it was the only bottle in the package that broke :p

has it been properly cellared for 4 years?

I'm calling you out BK... I have a bottle of Bad Frog Lemon Lager from 1997 with your name on it.

Properly cellared under my BILs bed (at his parents house) for ~18 yrs.

Just happened on several cases in Rochester...regular and Rare. Gone in a few hours. Hit town same day as BA Darkness. Blew my beer budget for December.

On no. I got a second bottle later in the week, so I opened one last night. Not super happy, and glad I didn't go whole hog hunting this one.

Poured about a third of bottle into an 8oz snifter. Taste up front is a bit of barrel aging, raisin, and roasted malt caramel. There is classic bourbon vanilla and aged wood as well. Thick mouth-feel, but with a slight bit of heat from alcohol. (Very little for 14%, but it is noticeable.) I also noticed a bit of oak, not as in barrel aging, but definitely oak. I don't recall that in past.
Second and third sips it is noticeable sweet. Almost under attenuated sweet. That starts to make the whole thing heavy and unbalanced toward the end of the glass.

I am not sure the sweetness will age out, but I do have one more bottle to put downstairs with previous years. I need to find a '13 and try it today, to compare, but I don't recall them ever being "sweet".

I picked up some in the Minneapolis area. My local liquor store had it. And even Total Wine and Haskells had it.
My sister grabbed me 4 in Cloquet. It was all over. Just regular BCBS is what I got. I think Total Wine had barleywine too

I picked up some in the Minneapolis area. My local liquor store had it. And even Total Wine and Haskells had it.
My sister grabbed me 4 in Cloquet. It was all over. Just regular BCBS is what I got. I think Total Wine had barleywine too

Huh to be fair I have not searched for it I used a beer locator. I'm lazy :p Now I have to go see if any bottles went unnoticed somewhere. Me being lazy makes more sense than it not being distributed here.

It happens!
Total wine has a nice search feature. France 44 does too.
My local liquor store tweets out new beers when they get them, so thats a bonus.

Billy-Klubb, I want you to hang out in my cellar and listen to loud punk rock music while you smoke your fancy pipe and drink all my fancy beer!

I can do this! thanks for the invite! would you prefer aromatic or non-aromatic? well, I'll just do what I want anyways.

Back