Who picked up BCBS today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slym2none

"Lazy extract brewer."
Reaction score
How much? What all didja get?

:D

I got my first bottle of this ever, just the regular stuff, and just one bottle.

:ban:

I'm in the same boat. Wasn't going out of my way to get it, but walked into a store and they had cases of it stacked up. Didn't seem to be any big deal about it, but there was a one per customer limit so I grabbed one.

I picked up five regulars from two grocery stores near me. They didn't have variants but it seemed like the regular stuff was abundant. If I'd been even slightly motivated to collect a bunch it would not have been a problem.

I waited in a small line for my LBS to open up. Luckily, they didn't open until 3PM today and when I went by, there was a line already forming. The shop got less than 10 cases, and all tickets were handed out before I could pay for mine, and I was one of the first ten people in line to pay for bottles & get out.

I picked up my limit of 2 at one of my LBS. Went tonight to get some beer for the wife and saw some at the local Super Saver (grocery store). They must have more for distribution this year than last.

The wifepiece got me a pair of BCBS bottles. There's lots of beer that's better, but this stuff is still very very good.

Got 16 Regulars, 1 Proprietors, and 1 Coffee. The variants are always good and awesome to have, but I would rather have a good supply of the regular. Especially with the new bottle format and pricing.

Here in the Chicago area they are in liquor stores, supermarkets, walgreens, and just about any other place that sells beer. The only place I have never seen it is in a gas station.

I had this for the first time tonight. Very boozey, very sweet, very syrupy.
The mouthfeel is too much, it's too sweet for my taste, and while it's not bad, I would say it does not live up to the hype.

10/10 would not buy again.

ieL1s9n.jpg
gYMXoPB.jpg

Got mine the other day after one of the beer pros in my town cued me in. Will be drinking it today with some steak, grilled onions and mushrooms, green beans and horseradish mashed potatoes.

Edit: For words and stuff

HATE the new packaging. This is a big beer and the larger bottle size really makes a night of this. I loved the 4 pack. Drink one, age 3. Oh well. Tasty.

How much? What all didja get?

:D

I got my first bottle of this ever, just the regular stuff, and just one bottle.

:ban:

Got myself the stout and the barleywine. Seems we got no coffee in this state, every store was upset about it and made a point to warn me that I wouldn't get any.

They did get the Rare. $55/16oz. I am on the back end of my "pay anything for any rare/limited release" mindset so I told them thanks, but no. Then I told another local and he said we could split. So, I might have half of a rare too.

The mouthfeel is too much, it's too sweet for my taste, and while it's not bad, I would say it does not live up to the hype.

Oh, that bums me out. Not sure if you were expecting a "beer", but these tend to be sippers, more along the lines of a Utopias than Heineken. :p I have gotten some every year I can, and one year I won raffel for some of the coffees and one other, a fruit one I think.

Do you ever try the Avery beast series? This would be in that neighborhood I would think.

Although, I have not opened mine, they only just came home today.

Since I work in retail management, I didn't get any. My girlfriend, however, picked up 5 bottles of the regular for me.

The last few years I was able to get a couple packs of regular and a pack of barleywine. No variants seen in my town yet aside from the barleywine, and none this year.

I'm not upset about the lower quantity. It's lost some of its luster after a few years. Its still enjoyable, just not worth the battle.

ieL1s9n.jpg
gYMXoPB.jpg

Got mine the other day after one of the beer pros in my town cued me in. Will be drinking it today with some steak, grilled onions and mushrooms, green beans and horseradish mashed potatoes.

Edit: For words and stuff

Thank you for posting the pic. I was wondering wtf beer this thread was referring to. I was pretty sure Blue Cross Blue Shield wasn't into beer...

Oh, that bums me out. Not sure if you were expecting a "beer", but these tend to be sippers, more along the lines of a Utopias than Heineken. :p I have gotten some every year I can, and one year I won raffel for some of the coffees and one other, a fruit one I think.

Do you ever try the Avery beast series? This would be in that neighborhood I would think.

Although, I have not opened mine, they only just came home today.

Oh, I knew it was a sipper. I just didn't like it, that's all. The only thing I could compare it to that I've had before would be ST's Creme Brulee. Wasn't much of a fan of that, either.

:)

Try it again in about a year and see if you feel the same way. If so, try it again in another year. This is a great beer and it definitely gets better with age. The other thing you have to realize is that you are drinking a beer that is ~14% ABV, and it is incredibly smooth considering how much alcohol is packed in there.

DISCLAIMER: I have not tasted this year's batch yet. But I had a 2014 last month and it had mellowed considerably after about a year's time.

As an aside, I agree 100% with those who are pissed about the packaging change. I don't know who thought that a 14% ABV beer should come in a 25 oz. bottle instead of a 12 oz. one, but whoever decided that is a moron. Instead of buying a case this year, I bought 3 bottles. So yeah, the marketing plan backfired. Better luck next time, AB-InBev.

I only got two bottles, but I'm content. We don't get it in Ohio and the girlfriend and I went to Virginia for the weekend to visit her sister and their local bottle shop got it in and we stopped by and I spent a few hundred there plus I got two BCBS! Stupid 12% abv cap in Ohio :(

Everyone whining about the mouthfeel, wait a year. Everyone whining about the packaging, you are right.

Alas, Goose Island was bought by the evil shysters at ABInbev. These are the same people that re-package their sh*tty beer in new "hi-tech" bottles and cans 4x a year in a desperate attempt to try to sell more of their sh*tty beer in a rapidly declining market. So is it really a surprise that they changed their coolest beer's bottle format this year? It's still a great beer, but we are suffering now because of the asinine marketing gimmicks of Goose's corporate overlords.

Dude, the Mephistopheles is my jam! I scored two bottles last year, got impatient, drank them both. I'll definitely by more this year if I have a beer budget at that point. I'm being pretty circumspect in my beer buying these days because:

a) I run a homebrew shop and have way more beer available to me than anyone should ever have

and

b) I'm still saving up for room and board in Munich for my Siebel Master Brewer program

and

c) I just like to bring up b) any time I can cuz I'm really excited.

Santa brought my BCS today, got the regular and the barleywine. They are my favorites year in and year out and they are the cheapest so I see it as a win/win. I'll report back in a year or so

If anything AB-Inbev probably knows more about how to package beer. It's probably the Goose Island people's idea.

If anything AB-Inbev probably knows more about how to package beer. It's probably the Goose Island people's idea.

First off, in my entire life as a Chicago resident, I have NEVER seen a gimmicky bottle from Goose Island until now. Secondly, you are almost certainly right about AB-Inbev knowing a thing or two about packaging processes. My beef is not with their experience level, it is with their technique. Repackaging the same cr@ppy beer over and over again doesn't make the beer any better, it just dupes a gullible, lite-swilling public into complacency. I was just pointing out my chagrin that they would take the same approach to a beer as laudatory as BCS from a brewery that is trying so hard to give them some scraps of street cred.

Yep, must be. Although they did sell out to AB-Inbev after all didn't they? All that street cred must have been so hard to handle, yo.

You're the guy who sits at a table in a smoking jacket with an unlit pipe and claims to be able to take on all takers because of your Aikido expertise, aren't you?

What the ****???

Regardless, you couldn't be more wrong.

Whatever the **** you meant.

Oh, I knew it was a sipper. I just didn't like it, that's all. The only thing I could compare it to that I've had before would be ST's Creme Brulee. Wasn't much of a fan of that, either.

:)

Uhg...I have lost all interest in ST's flavored beers. Well, I'll have mine this weekend and see I guess.

I live in Florida where we are saddled by lots of stupid laws designed to make it hard for craft brewers to complete with the megas. You can understand my frustration that our politicians are working for foreign corporations over local businesses. So, when I saw this sign, I decided I wouldn't be standing in line for BCBS.

12289552_10206294769701338_7915334904503371902_n.jpg

I know that AB/InBev, and Miller/Coors were behind this. So, I don't intend to send any money their way that is going to pay off any more politicians.

I got a case + four bottles of regular, one coffee, one regal rye, two barleywine and one rare. There's a store a town or two away with inflated prices which is where i got a case of regular, rye and rare. They still have some regular and a bottle of rare left. I'm tempted to go back and buy the rare. On one hand, i hate to pay the ones that overprice, but on the other hand, it's the only place I've seen rare and i hate to run around to get a bottle here and a bottle there...

Another store that I'm at regularly might still sell me some more coffee. Owner there is a little grumpy, but a good guy overall, so he limited it to one bottle each for regular customers when he first got it, but told me if he still has it in a few days he might sell me more.

Picked up 2 of the regular. Wife & I tried one the other night- wife says might as well drink bourbon- too much of that flavor and boozy. I enjoyed first couple of sips then it became just to sweet.
Many more readily available & cheaper big stouts that are tasty around this time of year.(Narwahl-Ten Fidy-Plead the Fifth-ect.)
Someones going to get the other for Xmas this year... I personaly don't get the aging for another year or so.... if this makes it so much better of a beer why don't the makers leave it in the barrel longer?
Might be worth the price then...its like they make money on my investment having to store it.

I personaly don't get the aging for another year or so.... if this makes it so much better of a beer why don't the makers leave it in the barrel longer?
Might be worth the price then...its like they make money on my investment having to store it.

Barrel aging is very different than bottle aging, for starters. So, why don't they bottle age it before release? Most likely because the cost of a climate controlled warehouse full of bottled beer would be substantial. On a small scale, space to age a few cases of bottled beer in my home in a climate controlled area is minimal.

Wine is the same way. Maturation in the bottle makes for a substantially different wine. Wine aged by the producer is typically very expensive. Wine aging at home is again easy to do.

Latest posts

Back