Who makes a LARGE domed false bottom? 16"+

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotPushrods

Reaction score
Title says it all.... largest domed false bottom I can find seems to be 12".

This is for a bottom drain mash tun. No drain hole required. A handle would be nice, although I could solder that on later.

I would love a 17" with a slight dome. My kettle is very slightly out of round at the top (1/16"). I want a VERY tight seal at the edges and I'm a little worried about forcing it in and out.

I'd really prefer a domed bottom that has no sealing issues at the edges, and I could undersize it by 1/4" eliminating the fit issues.

I'm all Googled out, somebody throw me a bone here!
:mug:

Title says it all.... largest domed false bottom I can find seems to be 12".

This is for a bottom drain mash tun. No drain hole required. A handle would be nice, although I could solder that on later.

I would love a 17" with a slight dome. My kettle is very slightly out of round at the top (1/16"). I want a VERY tight seal at the edges and I'm a little worried about forcing it in and out.

I'd really prefer a domed bottom that has no sealing issues at the edges, and I could undersize it by 1/4" eliminating the fit issues.

I'm all Googled out, somebody throw me a bone here!

I bet Jaybird can make one that size. Send him a PM here on the forum, and ask. He made mine, in a "stock" size, but I need a special stand and he said he'll make one for me when I send him the measurements. He made mine with a hinge, so I can fold it and then fit it in the MLT properly.

I bet Jaybird can make one that size. Send him a PM here on the forum, and ask. He made mine, in a "stock" size, but I need a special stand and he said he'll make one for me when I send him the measurements. He made mine with a hinge, so I can fold it and then fit it in the MLT properly.

I'll send him a message. I've been planning on using one of his custom cut FBs all along, so I'd still love to give him my money. There is nothing dome related on NorCal, but I'll let you know what I find out.

Jay hooked me up with exactly what I needed! Not domed, but it addresses the issue of grain leakage with a full circumference stand. The bottom center drain should stay completely free of grain pieces. He cut it exactly 15/16" height to my specs so the dead space would be right at 1 gallon.

The reflection from the kettle makes the gap look twice as big as it is... it's tight. I cut a piece of aluminum stock to fit and this is not even 1/16" smaller.

Can't wait to try it out, this thing is probably the most indestructible piece of the brewery so far.

Thanks Jay, awesome piece of work here!

fb1.JPG

fb3.JPG

Back